June 07, 2011

Raw pecan crusted cupcakes with cranberry cashew cream

In all honesty, most of my previous raw baking experiments have been anything but successful. As delicious as the ingredients normally are, I just haven't been able to get the right consistency, texture or look. I take my hat off to those talented raw bakers out there who can make the most amazing raw creations!

Desperate times, however, call for desperate measures and so I found myself thinking of raw baking once again. I knew cashew cream would have to be somehow incorporated into it, since my last experiment with the cashew cream cheese was so successful. I had frozen cranberries in the freezer and pecans were an obvious paring for the red winter berries.

These cupcakes must be the best of my raw baking yet. The crust is superbly delicious and not too sweet and the cranberry cashew cream seems like a perfect filling. These certainly give me some contentment after all the previous failed attempts!

Raw pecan crusted cupcakes with cranberry cashew cream
(makes 6-8)

(Recipe adapted from Whole Living)

1 1/2 cups pecans
1 cup pitted dates
2 teaspoons maple syrup


1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2-3 hours
1/2 cup water
140g frozen cranberries, slightly defrosted
3 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract

1. To make the crust, place the pecans in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the dates and the maple syrup and pulse until the mixture starts to come together.

2. Press the dough into silicone cupcake molds. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to be filled.

3. Drain the cashews and place in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add all the other ingredients and pulse for a few minutes or until the mixture is smooth and thick. Scoop the filling into the cupcake molds. Refrigerate until ready to serve. They taste delicious even the following day!