June 17, 2011

Pear macaroon slice - it's a celebration!


It's been 5 long weeks, but today I finally got my oven back! Needless to say there are now a few reasons to celebrate (in no particular order) 1) oven is fixed (hurrah!) 2) my fiancé (still not used to saying that) turned 30 earlier this week and 3) well, as you already know, we are now officially planning a wedding!

As you can imagine, I was feeling a little traumatised after the whole oven fiasco and righteously felt somewhat paranoid whether or not the oven could be fixed. After the oven repairs man had left and ensured me that the oven would now work, I felt confident to take the risk and start baking again.

This pear macaroon slice is definitely a celebration treat for us. I've used much more sugar than normally (although raw sugar, but nevertheless this is rather sweet), but I did opt for using extra virgin coconut oil and whole spelt flour to balance the richness. This is a brittle little thing, but all worth the effort. If pear is not in season where you are, any other seasonal fruit (berries, apples, quinces, even plums) will be just perfect.

Happy weekend all!


Pear macaroon slice

4 ripe pears, peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract

100g extra-virgin coconut oil (not liquid)
1 cup raw sugar
2 large, free-range eggs, separated
  1 cup whole spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

1. Start by making the filling. Place the pears, spices and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add one tablespoon of water if necessary, but be sure that as the pears soften, a lot of liquid will come out. Simmer the pears for 10-15 minutes or until they are completely soft. Drain and mash into a chunky purée using a fork. Use the left-over liquid to make a spicy warm drink, if you like.

2. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a baking tin (18cm x 28cm) and line it with baking paper.

3. Place the coconut oil and half of the sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one by one, beating well after each yolk. Mix the baking powder into the flour and sift the mixture into the dough. Using your hands, knead the dough - very lightly - together. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.

4. Place the egg whites into a clean bowl and beat into a soft peak. Add the rest of the sugar little by little and beat until the mixture is glossy and thick. 

5. Using your fingers, press the chilled dough evenly onto the base of the tin. Top the base with the pear filling and spread the meringue on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is lightly brown. Leave to cool before cutting into squares.

39 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your oven is fixed. What a relief for you. This looks lovely and tasty and your pictures are stunning. Very inviting indeed. You have a busy time ahead of you. Enjoy it - is a such a fun time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, congrats. And what better way than witha bit of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you for ALL of the above reasons (yeah even for Michael turning 30 hehe)... but mainly yes the oven works again because what is life without a good oven???? Anywy, pear macaroon coconutty goodness, it's EXACTLY the thing I'd love to eat, with loads of sugar ;)

    You are going to make the most stunning bride...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is certainly a reason to celebrate! They look very fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures! Yummi! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Onnea uunin johdosta Maria! Ja päärynäpalat kuulostavat ihanilta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for ovens! I don't know what I would do if I didn't have an oven. I'd probably accost my mother's :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it when you make everything a little bit healthier :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear your oven is working again! And what a great way to celebrate with a delicious pear slice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great! It is difficult to live without an oven, especially if you like to bake. Those slices are fantastic! I love your cake stand.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Meringues, pears and a crumbly base - what a treat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah..definitely worth a celebration. I am glad that your oven works now. THe cake looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh that is very exciting - I don't know what I'd do without mine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Place the coconut oil and half of the sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one by one, beating well after each yolk."--

    OK I am LOVING that you are cooking with coconut oil like this. I also love that you used coconut oil, not coconut butter (which is more expensive and I dont buy it) but have tons of coconut oil, always.

    The recipe and photos are just...droolworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I love the first pic ... the drinks (coffees?) make me feel like I could get away with having these for breakfast ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah Congrats! Oh I am so excited for you! Both the wedding and the oven! LOL! Seriously how wonderful and what a perfect way to celebrate with the most delectable little macaroons I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on all of the above :) looks yummy scrummy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have just come across your wonderful blog! I can't wait to look around a little more. I'm loving coming across more and more Australian blogs. Beautiful photographs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great week to celebrate! You must be so happy that your oven is working again. These bars look fantastic. Love the meringue on top!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely delicious one. Perfect recipe for all the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, wow! This makes me so happy!*supersmile* Congratulations on swimming in that greatness that is love<3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!! What a perfect thing to celebrate such a joyous moment in your life.Love it- I m seeing pears around still, gotta try this.
    P.S - Love your cake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats again! What a great dessert to celebrate with!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my goodness - seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome back oven! And how exciting about the wedding planning. Wonderful treat to celebrate the occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pear macaroon slices are a treat for my eyes too....:) Yay for getting your oven back...:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maria, what a nice way to celebrate 3 happy events with the pear macaroons. Congrats again and happy-b day to your "fiance"! =) Just the sound of the pear macaroons even makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the meringue topping! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow .. so many good news in one post :) Congrats and hugs dear ! I adore pear and this is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! This looks like the perfect celebratory dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG, are you trying to kill me with this? I just want to pull those lovely slices right out of my computer screen, they look so awesome.
    Let me help you celebrate all your good fortune daaaahling, send some of those goodies over here!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  32. I lived without a good functioning oven for quite some time, and can feel your pain.

    Sounds like you have lots of baking planned. :)

    Delicious dish you created here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks soooooo good! i'm glad you have lots to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks sensational, and hurrah for working ovens! I remember feeling the same sense of trepidation when I got mine fixed after the bottom element died, but the relief felt after seeing that it works again is phenomenal :)

    Good luck with the wedding planning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations on all of the above and another special one for the engagement. Im glad your oven is back - you coped reasonably well with out it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't know what it is about weddings but they always make me all excited n emotional ~ Congratulations n Best of luck will all the preparations, hugs!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE the cake prop, you are planning your wedding? That is just fabulous news, I'm so excited for you, will it be an intimate wedding?

    ReplyDelete