June 12, 2011

Greetings from South Australia - Part 1


 Hello from South Australia!
 
We have really enjoyed our trip so far and have fully embraced the South Australian produce – the olives, olive oils, wines, cheeses and the seasonal fruit and vegetables have all been superior quality. It’s been so interesting to see the sort of community spirit that prevails around the small country towns and our visit to the famous Barossa Valley farmer’s markets was truly a wonderful experience. Despite the cool winter weather, the atmosphere at the markets was warm and welcoming and the locals and visitors alike clearly knew their local produce was well worth the trip to the weekly markets.


South Australia is famous for its wines and we found the most atmospheric and characteristic wineries tucked in the small towns. Everywhere you go you see endless rows of vineyards – all at this time of the year quite unattractively lifeless, however. I find it incredibly fascinating to meet so many people who are passionate about their produce and want to keep the artisan traditions alive.  I am more than happy to support these small stall holders and businesses.


Personally I have also enjoyed visiting the numerous antique shops scattered around the country towns. I have always been passionate about vintage items and I find it extremely fascinating to browse these shops and buy curiosities I couldn’t find in Sydney. It is also always such a pleasure to get to talk to the shop owners, especially those who have been in the business for decades. Their knowledge is just so admirable and they always have such interesting stories to share. Needless to say I am bringing back a lot of items I’ve sourced from the country towns we’ve visited so far.



We will continue our trip tomorrow, but I wanted to share some of the scenery and things we’ve experienced so far.  More photos to follow when we are back in Sydney!

36 comments:

  1. I loved visiting the little picturesque towns of The Barossa, McLaren Vale and Adelaide Hills during our visit last year. The region is gorgeous during wintertime, and the smell of woodfire wherever you go reminds you how cosy it will be in front of the fireplace with wine and cheese to share. Enjoy the sights and wines and lovely produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those gorgeous pictures! South Australia is really beautiful. What fabulous landscapes. I really love the second picture. Dreamlike.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to do a trip down there - look forward to seeing your new antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful!!! Hope you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whata fabulous trip. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pictures and making us feel a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images and so glad you're having a wonderful trip...I love the pic of the horse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking area and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to more pictures as I'm planning to go in November.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! gorgeous pictures! looks like a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely gorgeous! Wish I could be there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures, looking forward for more of the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful pics! would love to get away and visit sa

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful! I love the sheep in the first picture! enjoy your trip Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you are enjoying a fantastic trip! I loved (!) your photos and can't wait to see what else you share.
    I have read about the antique and vintage stores of South Australia and would love to go myself. It's on my 'must do' list..!

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all these trees~ I find myself suddenly dreaming about moving to South Australia~

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful photos! have a great trip and update us often with your lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. absolutely gorgeous photos Maria! I'm going to Pin a couple of them. ;)
    I adore Australian wine, it's always so smooth and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The closest I got to experiencing Sth Australia was for an overnight work trip to Adelaide. I really need to get back there and do it properly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks amazing, i've been loving your twitter pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to visit South Australia and your lovely photos and stories have just confirmed that I definitiley need to go. Esp condiering you've had a ball looking through antique stores - a fellow favourite hobby of my own! Enjoy and make sure to try lots of new wines and foods!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you're having a wonderful time away from rainy Sydney! Beautiful photos - the last one is so, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here here for supporting local stall holders sharing their produce. Supporting local producers always makes me feel happy. I love your photos. Your trip looks like a nice way to spend the weekend. Ah - dare i wish my children's lives away but gee i look forward to the day when two year old tantrums are behind us and journey as such are possible once again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely trip you are having so far! I cannot wait to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your gorgeous photos have me missing Australia... and all the fantastic wine we had there while visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad you are enjoying our corner of the world - even if it is a bit chilly at the moment. I love the vineyards in winter, especially when they have a few sheep or alpaca's wandering through them.
    We are very passionate about or food and wine here - and not without good reason!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So this is where you woke up to yesterday re:twitter! LOL So picturesque. The air would be so fresh with that lovely morning dew.

    ReplyDelete
  27. it looks so gorgeous! i am so excited to be in australia in just one week :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, these photos look amazing. My boyfriend is going to Australia in September and I'm going to show him these, and make him visit the local producers to taste and tell me about the local food! I love old towns too with the vintage shops, you really feel like a different world sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those first two pictures look alot like the south, my Lousisiana with the trees and scenery. It looks so pretty and I am so glad you are having fun. I would kill to visit their markets and I am kinda jealous of you right now! :) Keep the pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful journey you are on. You are doing all of the things that I would love, especially visiting the antique shops. Thank you for showing us a side of Australia I don't normally see!

    ReplyDelete
  31. lovely pictures, looks like you're having a great time, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What amazing photos! South Australia seems like a magical and beautiful place. Thank you so much for bringing us along on your journey and telling us about all the local produce. Can't wait to here more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Maria, thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your pictures are absolutely stunning! Hope you're having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd love to go to SA! Cant wait to see all your new purchases :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your pictures are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete