May 06, 2011

Savoy cabbage rolls with golden chanterelle and brown rice filling topped with cranberry sauce


Sunny and crisp autumn days are the best thing I know - they take me back to my childhood in Finland where we would harvest the potatoes or pick the berries and the mushrooms in the forests. Even here in Australia, the crisp autumn air is such a welcoming change after the hot summer months. 

I was fortunate to spent another gorgeous day in the countryside earlier this week - I could pick mandarins and limes off the trees, gather fresh herbs from the garden and buy gorgeous fresh figs and tomatoes straight from the farm. It was a beautiful day, my spirits were high and I was full of inspiration when I unloaded my fresh produce onto my kitchen bench.


It is always at this time of the year when I start craving for cabbage - often it is cabbage salads, stews or rolls, all cooked in a similar way to my mum's back in Finland. Cabbage rolls and cabbage casserole have always been my favourite. Cooked with sweet dark syrup and served with tart lingonberry, they are a must-have dish every autumn. 

My version of these traditional rolls is a vegetarian one. I've opted for a healthier brown rice, and instead of using normal white cabbage, I've used Savoy cabbage, which to me looks like a magnificent piece of art. Together with brown rice, I've used dried golden chanterelles, those beautiful mushrooms you would see at every market stall in Finland around August. They are luxurious and delicious and bring a wonderful earthy flavour to this dish. I've flavoured the filling with some of those beautiful herbs I got from the garden - thyme, rosemary and oregano, but you could use any dry or fresh herbs you have available.


Instead of lingonberry, I've made a thick tart sauce using frozen cranberries. I've sweetened the sauce with a tiny bit of honey and to me, this is a perfect companion to these hearty cabbage rolls. This is what autumn is all about.



Savoy cabbage rolls with golden chanterelle and brown rice filling
topped with cranberry sauce
(makes 12-15 rolls)

1 savoy cabbage, leaves removed
1 1/2 cups brown rice (medium grain), cooked
30g dried golden chanterelle, reconstituted
2 shallots (eschalots), finely chopped
1 sprig of rosemary
1 sprig of oregano
1 sprig of thyme
1 large free-range egg
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper or ground white pepper
1 tbsp black treacle
1 tbsp olive oil

1. To soften the leaves, bring a large pot of water to boil. Season the water with a pinch of sea salt.

2. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a large square oven dish with some olive oil.

3. Boil the leaves in batches for 2-3 minutes until just softened. Dry the softened leaves on a clean tea towel. Thin the spines of the leaves by cutting them from the outside, be careful not to damage the leaf. 

4. Sauté the shallots in a little olive oil until soft. Add roughly chopped chanterelles and fresh herbs and sauté for a further few minutes.

5. In a large bowl, mix the brown rice, shallot and mushroom mixture and the egg together. Season with salt and pepper.

6. Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling on each cabbage leaf and wrap into tight rolls. Arrange the rolls snugly into the oven dish. 

7. In a small bowl, mix together the treacle and the olive oil. Drizzle the rolls with the mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes (scoop some of the liquid on the rolls half way through cooking). 


For the cranberry sauce, place 250g slightly defrosted cranberries along with 100ml water into a saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes. Puree the berries with a stab mixer (or in a food processor) and sweeten with a tablespoon of (raw) honey. Serve the thick sauce with the cabbage rolls.



50 comments:

  1. Maria! What an ingenious way to use cabbage! I have two large heads in my fridge right now... every time I get a glass a water I feel them staring me down. Do you think this would work with "regular" green cabbage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just pure genius. I think the very first thing I'll do when I make my first million is to hire you as my personal chef! ;) I never lved cabbage rolls mainly because of the meat, tomato sauce and whit rice. This is absolutely going to be my new fav dish! Thank you so much. Cranberry sauce?!! Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't seen a prettier looking cabbage roll! WOW! In India we use a diff. leaf, but I made mine w/ cabbage leaves and chickpea flour stuffing inside. Love this vibrant sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful. And the bright tartness of cranberries is a perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never thought to serve cabbage rolls with cranberry sauce. It adds color to the dish and I'm sure a great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like cabbage rolls and what an interesting combination of flavours yours have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I just composted my cabbage because I just couldn't find something to do with it that I really wanted to try and then I realized I had waited a little too long. When I have cabbage on hand I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing about what things are eaten in Finland at different times of the year. I haven't had cabbage rolls in ages. The rice with the mushrooms cooked inside does really sound warm and inviting. You mentioned figs! MMMmmm. one of my favorite foods...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are blowing me away!! Each recipe keeps getting better. I am so excited about your blog. I plan to tell everyone about the innovative recipes going on here. Not to mention, the photography is so gorgeous! My great-grandmother made delicious cabbage rolls, but let's just say that they weren't a creative masterpiece like these. Plus, it's gluten free and dairy free to boot! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These rolls look absolutely adorable! I love cabbage but I've never made cabbage rolls before. I'll have to try your lovely recipe, Maria.
    BTW, I'm loving the cranberry sauce :)

    Beautiful shots!

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria! We have very similar dish in Japan called "rolled cabbage". We roll meat mixture in it and cook in soy sauce + vegetable bouillon. I love the idea of rolling rice! The sauce is cranberries and oh I just love how everything sounds! I'm used to my Japanese version and I can't wait to try this Western version! Looks so delicious Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband loves cabbage rolls and makes them every now and again with ground beef (and some spices similar to a beef/macaroni dish he also makes????).

    I love your vegetarian version that you have created here. Absolutely delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cabbage roll is childhood for me, my mum used to make them every now and then. Lovely and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous colours Maria. Perfect food for this cool weather

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those cabbage rools are fabulous! What a lovely dish.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  16. you turned boring cabbage into something really interesting! looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Teillä alkaa juuri sellainen ilmasto mikä meillä on loppumassa,olemme siirtymässä pitkään kuumaan kauteen:(
    Ihania kuvia ja tuosta tulee mieleen,etten ole aikoihin syönyt kaalikääryleitä,jotka olivat lapsena herkkua! Ihana terveellisempi versio niistä:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks wonderful! love the pictures & the cranberry sauce to match the lovely green cabbage rolls looks & sounds delicious. dayle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love cabbage rolls! And using savoy is clever (and I too have thought that it is actually a very photogenic vegetable if that makes any sense :P )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous, healthy and loads of flavours. You've got the perfect dish here, Maria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. one of the most colorful dishes I have ever seen and healthy for you. IT looks DIVINE and I love the rice stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew from the post title that there would be some beautiful colours in these photos, but I wasn't quite prepared for that gorgeous first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love cabbage rolls, using cranberry sauce with it surely is a wonderful idea. Falling in love with those beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks lovely, Maria! I adore cabbage =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maria ~ I always wanted to make these rolls n thanks to you now I have a great recipe :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so difficult to make this kind of food look amazing - but somehow you do! I have ahd something similar in Sweden - my husband loves this kind of food - but it always tends to be made with meat. Perhaps I can sneak in with this version instead. I am sure it will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, very interesting combination of flavours! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are so beautiful! All of your photos are... I so wish I could pick fruit off trees. Maybe some day! :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maria, your photos are so breathtaking and all of your recipes so original. Thank you for sharing these cabbage rolls and inspiring me with something new! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Maria,
    can you get dried chanterelles in Sydney or have you brought them from Finland? I'm about to move to Sydney in August and trying to figure out the strict food import regulations of Australia. I have dried chanterelles and porcini in the cupboard and thinking what to do with them before moving.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a pretty cabbage.And a beautiful color of sauce.Very creative recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These sound incredible! You're making me wish Fall was here in the US and we haven't even finished Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just gorgeous...I love the kind of cabbage you used...it's so much prettier than the normal variety. Your pictures are making me crave!!! what...I...can't have right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. love the dish! My hubby makes this with potato stuffing and boy it is so yummy ! I will try with brown rice next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. looks awesome, Maria! going to give this a try soon sans egg. bookmarked with my cookmarked.com account!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful dish! I think these are the most elegant cabbage rolls I've seen...and I love that sauce with them!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh yum...These rolls look beautiful and very appetising! I am not usually much of a vegetarian ;), but these rolls look amazing, Maria :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oooo cabbage! We love cabbage here and I like your vegetarian take on a typically heavy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi There, The cabbage rolls are looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These cabbage rolls look spectacular, what a contrast in color with the green cabagge and the bright red of the cranberry sauce. The filling sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR SITE!!!! Your food is delicious and your pictures are stunning :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cabbage rolls are one of my absolute favourites. I love the addition and the way you have used the treacle and the photos are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you all!

    Triinu, I bought the chanterelles here in Sydney.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I absolutely love the idea of vegetarian cabbage rolls. I know from my childhood non-vegetarian version and I have never thought of making it vegetarian and soooo good looking. Thanks for inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I absolutely LOVE cabbage rolls, and your version just sounds so good, such interesting flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Some cabbage is lurking in my fridge, but all the cabbage roll recipes I've seen are meaty and boring. Adding a vibrant sauce never even occurred to me. Gorgeous and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Despite the fact that it is definitely JUST starting to be spring here in San Francisco (and I am so ready for summer produce) this recipe looks to die for. I may just need to skip to fall for a night.

    ReplyDelete
  48. and now are in my tummy :P
    I'm a newbie in the kitchen but this recipe was easy enough for me, loved the sweet taste, I omitted cranberry sauce only because i couldn't find any cranberries (fresh or frozen, only candied) do you have a suggestion what could be a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you Maja! Glad to hear they turned out ok!
    You could try using pretty much any tart berry that is available in your area. Please let me know if you find a suitable one!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete