May 16, 2011

A day at the National Park - Sydney scenery and wildlife

I thought I'd share a few photos with you from last Friday when my partner and I spent the day at the Ku-ring-gai National Park less than an hour's drive from where we live. It was a beautiful, sunny autumn's day and since we rarely get a chance to have a day off like this, we decided to spend time outdoors and do some light trekking and enjoying the nature and the scenery.

Sydney is surrounded by gorgeous beaches and large green areas and it is not hard to see why I fell in love with this city in the first place. On a sunny day like this one, Sydney is really showing off its best assets and the scenery takes my breath away every time. I think in Sydney you get a perfect balance of the city and the country. The countryside is a mere hour's drive away - you can visit farms, national parks and really get away from all the hustle and bustle of the city-life. On the other hand, Sydney also has all the benefits of a big city - museums, restaurants, speciality shops, and so on.

We were so lucky to be able to see so much wildlife on our day out. I always think it's a good sign to see the native flora and fauna  so close to a big city and surely as we entered the national park we saw swamp wallabies, one of them with a little joey in her pouch, kookaburras and even a young diamond python. It was so fascinating to see all these wild animals roaming free in their natural inhabitant.

I couldn't stop taking photos of the scenery and the animals. I took some video too which I've uploaded on VIMEO - so please go and have a look if you want to see more! In the mean time, I'm already planning my next mini-trip :-)