May 23, 2011

Buckwheat and spelt pancakes with chai poached pear and cardamom sauce


Hi friends! 

How did your weekend go? It was a beautiful weather here in Sydney and it's days like these when I feel so happy and fortunate to live in this stunning city. We walked down to the harbour, bought lunch from a near by cafe and sat on the grass to enjoy the views. People were out and about - families with children at the amusement park, artists lined up with their paintings of the famous Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House and people gathered around picnic blankets to spend the day with friends and family. What a perfect setting.


For some reason, making pancakes for a weekend breakfast always makes it seem a bit more special. Whether it is the little effort of standing next to the stove flipping the pancakes or enjoying a breakfast that is not your every day treat, they are always as welcoming and warming. What made these pancakes really something different, however, was the chai poached pear and cardamom sauce. Pears are in season now and when they are perfectly ripe I  love having them on their own, poached, in puddings or cakes or in a sauce like this one.

 

 Buckwheat and spelt pancakes with chai poached pear and cardamom sauce
(serves 2)

::Buckwheat and spelt pancakes::
 (makes 6 small pancakes)

300ml brown rice milk
50g buckwheat flour
60g whole spelt flour
1 free-range egg
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil + extra for frying

::Chai poached pear and cardamom sauce::

2-3 bags Chai tea
1 litre recently boiled water
2 ripe pears, peeled

1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon manuka honey

1. Whisk the egg, salt and a tablespoon of oil with the brown rice milk (or milk of your choice). Sieve in the flour and whisk to make a smooth batter. Let sit for 30 minutes.

2. In a small saucepan, soak the tea bags in the recently boiled (hot, but not boiling) water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, then add the pears. Soak the pears, covered, for 20 minutes.

3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan. Pour in some batter (approximately one sixth) and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Continue with the rest of the batter.

4. Remove the pears from the poaching liquid. Core and half the pears and place them in to a food processor. Add in vanilla, cardamom and honey and process until smooth. Add in a tablespoon or two of the poaching tea if the sauce seems too thick. 

5. Serve the pancakes warm with the pear and cardamom sauce.


42 comments:

  1. Lovely clicka and delicious lookiong pancakes!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. These posts of yours always make me long to visit Austrailia. And I'm always looking for new and tasty ways to use buckwheat flour! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ym! Chai poached pears sound delicious! Definitely adding it to the 'things to try' list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious weekend we had in Sydney hey! For a moment I thought your pears were going to be whole but I really like the sauce you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't eaten, let alone made, pancakes in over a decade! They've always made me feel like I ate a doona for breakfast. These, though, these I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I spent my weekend in lovely Thailand, relaxing and eating well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm checking into my flight to be there for breakfast! :)
    Lovely light and composition, you make me feel relaxed just watching at the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pear sauce on pancakes sounds and looks delicious! Sydney looks like such an awesome city. We were there years ago and had such a good time. Then we went to Tasmania for a week long backpacking trip. It was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm currently going through a phase of having lemongrass and ginger tea poached pears. Aren't they lovely? I can only imagine how wonderful the sauce must be... And I do agree that pancakes are a gorgeous comfort food - cooked slowly and with love. PS gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the chai poached pear sauce sounds so rich and spicy-i love the flavor of chai and I have never thought to combine it with pear. How amazing is your little cooking brain! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like such a nice sunny day in Sydney. The pancakes sounds so good, and this chai poached pear and cardamom sauce is certainly very unique, a very intriguing combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness sounds like an awesome weekend and those pancakes look so delicious! That poached pear sauce sounds like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great recipe, I especially like this sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sauce truly makes this dish! Can't wait to try these for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous of your outdoor photo skills! Mine always seem to come out so dark. I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I love buckwheat! It is so versatile and is a great sub for wheat. My stomach is now growling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am SO making that chai and poached pear sauce! And I LOVE manuka honey....packed full of nutrients! Beautiful Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely pancakes, dear. I like how you stacked them and the use of different grains :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking at that ferris wheel gets me excited...

    almost as excited as when I look at picture of pancakes...these looks so crazy good. I think pancakes are the best food in the world. Must be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed a lovely long weekend with friends! And now I could use some pancakes- to recover from all the "fun".

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful way to spend a sunday morning! Lovely pancakes and pear sauce, so refined and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that photo of the ferris wheel! The colors are so vibrant.

    These pancakes look delectable, lighter than the usual -- and that spiced pear sauce sounds like the perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just recently discovered your blog (maybe through Tastespotting, maybe Savuer?) but I am really loving it. I totally agree with you re: weekend pancakes - something about cooking up a batch reaffirms: it's truly the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kuulostaa hyvältä, en kyllä osaa ajatella miltä maistuu kun on aineita joita en juuri ole käyttänyt. Kuvasi ovat taas niiiiin ihania! Mieletön paikka asua.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, these are amazing photos of Sydney and I wish I will visit this city someday! I like the pancakes too, I feel like they'd be just the right start to the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never poached my own pears before but your recipe has definately convinced me that it time. Gorgeous breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful day that was, lucky duck! The food looks amazing, as always :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what a great idea - the pears sound absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That first picture is awesome. I haven't had pears in a while, much less with pancakes! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very innovative recipe..love the indian flavors here.I m so in love with that pear sauce..cant wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Maria, what a nice combination...I love how you poached the pear, so tasty with chai and cardamon. Have a wonderful week ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous pictures and equally gorgeous pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love pancakes for breakfast, or any time really, That chai sauce sounds really nice, I'll have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey, the Alexander is my favourite ferry, lol! This is definitely going on our next food plan, it looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I feel the same way. My usual breakfast is toast with jam, and some fruit. But when I take the time to whip up pancakes or waffles, it does make the weekend seem more special. And somehow it gives me an excuse to linger even more over that second cup of coffee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Maria, your photos are beautiful and buckwheet pancakes sounds very unique and delicious! Everything is wonderful here...and that's why I like visiting your site. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh I looove chai! I make my own mix and have it in (practically) everything! Love and bliss to you, Maria <3

    ReplyDelete
  37. Maria these buckwheat pancakes look incredible! I love the fact that I can eat these guilt-free! I can't wait to try this dish over the weekend. I'm heading up to Sydney in a couple of weeks, so it's encouraging to know the weather up your way is bright and sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sydney sounds like such a great city! I love your flavorful version of pancakes, especially the pears and cardamom sauce. Great flavors and beautiful photographs. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  39. ive been having buckwheat pancake for brekkie these days too!! looking fwd to try it with the delicous sounding pear/cardamom sauce soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Australia is so beautiful and would love to go back again :) The pancakes sound delicious, love the poached pear and cardamom sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE that Farris Wheel!!! What fun, and those pancakes sound quite delish and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Those thin little pancakes look wonderfully delicate and tasty! And the pears too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete