April 29, 2011

Wild mushroom soup


Is it just me or does autumn make you feel a teeny bit nostalgic? Maybe it's the sound of the pounding rain, or the cooler and darker nights when you feel like wrapping yourself in a big blanket and cuddling up on the sofa with a good book. In the kitchen, I take out my huge French casserole and a big wooden spoon and I can happily stand next to the warm stove stirring soups and stews.


Back in Finland autumn was always my favourite time of the year - I think having a birthday in September had something to do with it, though. After moving to Australia and having somehow come to terms with the opposite seasons, it took me a few years to start embracing this time of the year again.



My love for autumn produce has not changed, however. I still adore the mushrooms, chestnuts, apples, root vegetables and all that this season has to offer. Pumpkins, like the ones in these photos, make a beautiful piece of decoration too and there is no need for expensive cut flowers in the dinner table.


I treated myself with a small bag of precious dried wild mushrooms lately and thought there is no better way to celebrate their strong flavour than a gorgeously warming soup. This soup is exactly that. It is strong and bold, it is chunky with mushrooms and has a re-assuring feel to it - it will make you feel comforted and cosy. 



You could easily make this into a loving pasta sauce by just using less vegetable stock. Whatever you do don't throw away the liquid after soaking the dried mushrooms! Try freezing it for a later use in pasta sauces or other soups or use it more in this soup for a stronger flavour.


Wild mushroom soup
(serves 2-4)

30g dried wild mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
200g fresh Swiss brown mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice), sliced
1 sprig of fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tbsp good tomato paste (organic)
0,5 litre wild mushroom soaking liquid (or less for a milder taste)
1 litre vegetable stock ( or less/more depending how thin/thick you want it)
big handful of fresh parsley, chopped
freshly ground black pepper

1. Soak the dried wild mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain the mushrooms, but keep the liquid. Chop the mushrooms coarsely and set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add brown onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.

3. Add all the mushrooms, along with the rosemary and thyme and sauté for a further 5 or so minutes. Add some of the soaking liquid in as well.

4. Add the tomato paste, vegetable stock and more soaking liquid if you wish. Cover, then let simmer for a good 30 minutes.

5. Lastly, season the soup with freshly ground black pepper and throw in a handful of fresh parsley before serving. 

6. Serve with a rustic wholegrain bread.

41 comments:

  1. As a fan of mushrooms I've got to say that this soup is very, very attractive to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dried mushrooms have such an intense flavour, don't they? This lovely soup is just made for slurping down in front of a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks so yummy!

    My favorite season is definitely autumn too.

    It must have been s strange to get used to opposite seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is bookmarked! My fav ingredients in one bowl!
    Your pictures are really enticing..
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! Mushroom soup is one of my favorite :) Hauskaa Vappua!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful soup that musz be lipsmackingly good and so comforting! Perfect in autumn.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be lovely with gnocchi as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing better than a big pot of soup simmering away on the stove, such a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a magnificent bowl os soup. It looks so good and like a great big bowl of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous looking soup! It almost looks too good to eat. Absolutely stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just curious- do you live in a magazine set or something because you have so many amazing settings and backdrops for your pictures. So jealous of that and the food. the soup looks delish and seeing as how we adore mushrooms we are all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH my, I really do love this post Maria, I'm quite fond of mushroom soup, do you think I could use shitake? I couldn't help but notice the loaf of bread, could you share that recipe me with?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could eat this soup every day, no problem! Beautiful dish, beautiful colors and looks like such wonderful flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gustosa e irresistibile, felice fine settimana
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Maria, I really am enjoying your take on autumns bounty! This recipe is a must try for me, spring or fall, this is a cozy comforting meal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As much as I love spring, autumn is my favorite time of year. There is something so romantic and nostalgic about the crisp air and rustling leaves. And this is a perfect, hearty soup for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a wonderful, hearty, fall soup. I love the flavor of mushrooms, and they look delicious here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful shots as always. Love your red pot =D and the soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl you need to do a behind the scenes post so we can see how you set up and take your food photos. They are just so gorgeous. The Cooking Photographer did one recently and it was so interesting!
    Autumn is my favorite time of year too. Living in Florida now I miss the change of leaves I used to get in New England but this soup just might bring me back for a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are absolutely mouthwatering! I only know the creamy version of mushroom soup, but this one I like even better. Look at that gorgeous red colour! So appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's crazy that you are going through autumn while I am going through spring right now! I had to think about that for a second when I first started reading your post! ;) But I do agree that autumn can be nostalgic. I enjoy spring but I enjoy autumn as well! Your soup looks delicious and the photos are fantastic! I wish my husband liked mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For some reason I wasn't expecting to see a tomato based soup when I clicked the link - but I like that idea! I have only ever made creamy mushroom soups, but I will have to give this a go.

    I must confess to having several jars full of handpicked and dried swedish kantareller and trattkantereller in my kitchen that I always forget to use. No more excuses!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maria, this soup looks so warm, hearty and absolutely perfect for those colder spring days. Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy to have found your beautiful blog and am going to explore more of your recipes now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Even though we were supposed to have high temperatures here at this time of year, it is still cold and this soup is the perfect meal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A bowl full of Autumn, it does indeed make we want a bowl while snuggled on the sofa with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your top shot is lovely. I love that base you're shooting on. Is it an old trunk? The yellow writing makes it look extra neat.

    Beautiful mushroom soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photos alone are so enticing, I would devour the soup on that basis; not to say that it is not also an amazing soup! Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  28. definitely feeling nostalgic myself! this rustic soup combined with your gorgeous images are wonderful! dayle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum! Yes, Autumn is just as you described - perfect soup for a cold day. Love the photo with the dried mushrooms - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a perfectly lovely soup. There is an old-fashioned rustic quality to it that I really find appealing. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  31. We love autumn too and your soup makes all other mushroom soups look ordinary! I can imagine the intensity of flavours especially when the mushroom have been dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You're so right...autumn definitely has that FEEL to it. Like you want to curl up in front of a fireplace and just reminisce about the past. This soup looks like the perfect accompaniment to such a night!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is the next soup I am going to make after the one I posted today on my blog. Lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This soup sounds delicious.I havent tried dried mushrooms ever.Lovely pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful pictures! I would definitely have them both as soup or pasta sauce! YUMM!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dried Mushrooms - one of my favourite. Great tip about the soaking water. I am learning very fast that many things have many great uses. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a warmy soup! We finally got sunshine here in MTL the last few days. I bookmark the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW this looks incredible! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that I included you in my list of Top 10 Soup Recipes this morning- here's the link!
    http://thefrugalflambe.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/top-10-soups/

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is something I've gotta try this winter. Looks super comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, that looks amazing. Mushrooms contain a lot of vitamins and antioxidants. But be careful with wild mushrooms. Unless you know what to look for and you are absolutely sure, don't eat mushrooms from the wild, as they can contain poison. They can give you a nasty stomach ache and can even cause death in rare cases.

    ReplyDelete