I love using spices in baking and my favourites include cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and clove. All of these go perfectly well with fruit such as quince, pear and apple - which brings us to this cake. I wanted to try this recipe not just because of the spice mix, but also because it's gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free. It really is an ideal crowd pleaser and tastes lovely with a nice cup of tea.
Quince, Apple and Pear Cake
(Recipe adapted from Terry Walters' Clean Start)
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup potato starch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup peeled and coarsely grated pear
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 big quince (or 1 small), finely sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and grease a 20cm springform pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into dry and fold to combine.
5. Pour the the cake dough into the prepared pan and top with the quince slices. Mix together the brown sugar and extra cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake.
6. Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.