April 25, 2011

Home-made quinoa milk and 'Chocoatl'


Some of you may have seen the tweets earlier this week about my experiments with home-made quinoa milk. I adore quinoa and I am convinced about its versatility, nutritious qualities and tastiness. It is suitable for both sweet and savoury dishes and its a perfect gluten-free alternative. Like brown rice, it can also be made into milk and used as a protein-rich dairy-free drink. 


As a side note I should say that I have always had a deep interest in the Maya culture. Even as a young teenager, I was (perhaps in an un-cool way) drawn into the fascinating history of the Mayas and I once aspired to become an archaeologist, something along the lines of Indiana Jones. This didn't happen, however, although I did manage to complete a minor in a somewhat less interesting field of Finnish archaeology. 

This quinoa chocolate drink takes me right back to my Maya research days. The combination of chocolate and spices is impeccable and results in a thick, velvety drink that is filling and satisfying. I have used home-made quinoa milk, but you could substitute with rice milk, almond milk or even normal milk. If you use all quinoa milk, you will get a thick almost soup-like consistency. You could use half milk half water if you like, but I the thick filling chocolate drink was exactly what was called for on this rainy autumn's day.


Quinoa milk*
(makes 1 litre)**

1/2 cup white quinoa, rinsed

2 cups water

*you need to start this recipe on the previous night.
**Recipe from Food.com

1. Place the rinsed quinoa in a glass bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl with a lid or cling wrap and refrigerate over-night.

2. The next morning, drain the quinoa and rinse with clean water. Place the quinoa in a saucepan and cover with 2 cups of clean water.

3. Bring to boil and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. 

4. Place the cooked quinoa in a food processor and add 2 more cups of water.

5. Blitz until smooth and velvety, add water if needed.

6. Strain the quinoa milk through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth.

Chocoatl - Chocolate quinoa drink
(Recipe adapted from Ruohonjuuri)

1 litre quinoa milk
25g raw 100% cocoa chocolate
1 tbsp unsweetened, dark chocolate powder
3 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
tiny pinch of chili flakes
tiny pinch of salt

1. Heat the quinoa milk (or half quinoa, half water) in a small saucepan. 

2. In the meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave. (Be careful not letting it get too hot.)

3. Whisk in the chocolate and all other ingredients and whisk until smooth and velvety. Add water if too thick.

4.  Serve warm.


43 comments:

  1. Great experimentation here. The bet recipes always seem to eb borne from experimentation. I love making almond or hazel milk at home but must admit, I haven't tried quinoa yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spicy and chocolatey... such a great idea. I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous chocolate "milk" with some very grown-up flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a quinoa fan, I suppose because I didn't find the way to cook it properly...but this chocoatl is too interesting to not give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I've never had quinoa milk.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. sooo delicious! + very unique using quinoa milk!!! i love the time out post pictures - just gorgeous. dayle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so interesting Maria, can I take a wild guess and assume you love quinoa? "giggles" = )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never actually heard of quinoa milk, but this looks really yummy! I'm tempted to try making quinoa milk just to try this drink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing, it intrigues me that you make milk from so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quinoa milk? Very interesting, wonder what it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! I would never think to make this! so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- amazing. To think you can even make milk out of quinoa in your own kitchen is truly awesome and inspiring! I love the chocolate! Only wish I had some to try!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! I used to make hot chocolate with chili and I really like the combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot chocolate with chili? Never heard of it but I'm willing to try just about anything.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for visiting my blog!

    Wow I have never heard of quinoa milk! I am going to have to make this as I am obsessed with quinoa. Thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your article and share your admiration for quinoa. If I had to choose one grain to live off of for the rest of my life, it would most certainly be quinoa! I agree that it's super versatile. I've never thought of making (or heard of!) quinoa milk, but I'm now intrigued. Can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing such an innovative use of quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - quinoa milk! I am so intrigued!! I have been trying to find my favourite nondairy milk, but something homemade like this takes the cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. healthy and delicious looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have become a fan of coconut milk this year, but this quinoa milk looks like it would be a thrifty alternative. I think the resulting chocolate drink would be rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can only imagine the wonderful complex flavours in this. I have never tried quinoa milk. but i guess it must have been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never thought to make quinoa milk. Absolutely love the idea! Not as much protein as soy milk or if you were to actually eat the quinoa, but it still sounds great..especially with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been making my own almond and rice milk for awhile now, but I'll have to add quinoa to that! And now that the days are getting warmer here I've been enjoying cold glasses of chocolate milk, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all your home made milk experiments, it's proof that one can take their health into their own hands!

    I, too, have always been fascinated by Mayan culture; when I was in mexico last I was lucky have some mexican hot chocolate and it is still on my mind!

    Lovely post Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always, your photos are gorgeous and inspiring and make me want to run to the kitchen and start cooking away! Now all I need is some time...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I am starting to be convinced about quinoa! the first time I had it I thought it was tasteless but have since had it in some great salads... and now a chocolate drink? ;)

    btw your time out looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thats quite an experiment.With chocolate, it looks yummy.I have tried making milk with hazelnuts but not with quinoa ever.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the spices in this drink, I bet they're really perfect with the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How very interesting. Next we may see "quinoa milk" next to the soy milks etc. Wouldn't that be something?! I'm passing this deliciousness on to my friend who is gluten intolerant. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I never would have though to make quinoa milk. The finished cup is very reminiscent of Mexican hot chocolate. I'm sure your version is delicious and I curious to see how the milk might change it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maria, your photos are so stunning and this chocolate drink looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. never tried quinoa milk! i've seen it in the store before though. I am sooo making this tomorrow (after I soak overnight).

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is absolutely AMAZING- Soy milk is a regular i our household as we think it is power packed but I bet this is equally if not more nutritious- Fabulous use of the wonder grain!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  32. HEAVENLY. Heavenly!! And the perfect things to use my Vita-Mix for in these days when bananas are so expensive that I can't justify my green smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks heavenly, Maria! Have you tried it without chocolate? I might try giving it a vanilla flavor myself!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have never tried quinoa milk before, but the ingredients just look lip-smackingly good. Do you happen to know how long the quinoa milk will keep in the refrigerator

    ReplyDelete
  35. Too funny, I loved Indiana Jones! The way you describe this sounds so fabulous. I bet my daughter would love the quinoa milk so I must try my hand at this!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you all!

    Kayla, I would give it a good 2-3 days. Somewhere it said it could last up to a week, but personally I wouldn't keep it for that long.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  37. this looks delicious Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. i would love to try this some time. i've tried and liked store bought versions so home made's the next step :)

    lovely pics, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the spicy flavours here! And very curious to try the quinoa milk.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow it looks like Drink of the Gods. I haven't tried it but I did heard stories in blogs about the history of chocolate. Looks great! Will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome! It seems so good. Just looking at it is making me drool! I can't wait to try it with my mom.

    ReplyDelete