March 06, 2011

When everything else fails ... Make mocha cakes


It was one of those days when everything seemed to go wrong - washing failed, cooking failed, baking failed, even ironing failed. I know they might not seem like huge issues in a bigger perspective (and that's what I kept telling myself), but that day they seemed bigger than Ben-Hur. I knew I had to stop what I was doing, take a breather and try again another day.

When everything else fails, we tend to go back to old favourites. This mocha cake is one of them and although I've tweaked the traditional recipe a little bit, it is still full of comfort at every bite. It is soft, chocolaty and sweet like a mother's kiss. Exactly what I needed.


Mocha Cakes
(Makes 5 small cakes)

2 large free-range eggs
40g brown sugar
60 ml unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
50g coconut flour
70g white, unbleached spelt flour
1,5 tsp baking powder
1,5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
100 ml low fat milk

{icing}

70g icing sugar
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2-3 tbsp strong coffee

3 tbsp desiccated coconut

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare 5 muffin tins or small loaf tins (9.2 cm x 6 cm x 3.5 cm). 

Using electric beaters, beat the eggs and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the apple sauce and the vanilla. In a separate bowl, sieve together the flours, baking powder and cocoa. Fold half of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, then fold in half the milk. Fold in the rest of the dry ingredients and the rest of the milk until the batter is smooth and even. Scoop the batter into the prepared tins and bake for about 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

To make the icing, sieve together the icing sugar and the cocoa. Start adding the coffee one tablespoon at a time, stirring until the mixture has reached a thick but slightly runny consistency. Spoon the icing on top of the cakes and sprinkle each cake with desiccated coconut.


19 comments:

  1. They look sinful, decadent, and delicious, and I could use some of that icing because I'm currently suffering from Sundayitis and need a caffeine hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These remind me of my childhood, Mum would bake these on a Friday night for the weekend! You have inspired me to make some cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know those cursed days when everything goes wrong... Horrible!

    Those cakes look delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, these make me think of my childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I'm sorry it was such a difficult day. My crystal ball tells me tomorrow will be better. Your mocha cakes look delicious. I love to have with my coffee. Have a good weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good! Mocha cakes = success! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those look delectable...perfect for a Sunday afternoon & nice wee cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These chocolate cakes look so decadent! What can be better than a chocolate with a hint of coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love using coconut flour for baking. These look like a terrific "comfort food" - their size is perfectl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria...hmm, I am just curious how washing or ironing could fail? Did you burn your clothes while ironing ;) ? These little cakes must be delicious with the chocolate sauce over them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!! Pakko koittaa näitä joskus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cakes look so pretty and delicious! I want one right now! They'd definitely brighten up my day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scrumptious looking cake, your pictures are very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know just what you mean about those strange days where nothing seems to go right but a good cake always makes things seem a bit brighter and more hopeful. I'm sure your lovely cakes did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the best motto ever. I wholeheartedly approve. These little cakes look delicious! I hope they made your day better and brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been so frantic lately so taking a breather with these little gems would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my when you have days like that you just want to cry, it seems that everything always happens at once! at least these look like they turned out perfect and hopefully helped to ease the pain hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do that too! .. When all else fails its always nice to gravitate towards something comforting. Ive been having one of those "days" consecutively for a few weeks now, guess its also time for me to pull out some old favourites, yours looks deliciously lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had one of those days last week.. it was horrible... I finally just gave up and sat on my butt for an hour and took a deep breath.... but mocha cake makes it all better though..

    ReplyDelete