March 23, 2011

Spelt linguine and zucchini with walnut pesto


The first months of this year have been characterised by new projects and changes. I almost feel like at times I've dived straight in without knowing what is expecting me underneath. Although it's always frightening to step out of your comfort zone, it is important to do your best and at least give new things a go. I am inspired and motivated to work on projects I am passionate about and it is satisfying to see some sort of progress.

I guess the same thing goes for cooking and experimenting new recipes in the kitchen. You never know if your recipe idea will work or not if you don't give it a go. Sometimes they don't work, and believe me there are quite a few of those dishes that never make it to this blog, but at least I've tried and I can then move on.

I've been wanting to make this walnut pesto pasta for a while now and the recipe has changed somewhat from what my initial idea was. Nevertheless I was happy to see (and taste) the outcome and although it may not be the prettiest bowl of pasta you've seen, it was still tasty. So why not give it a go?


Spelt linguine and zucchini with walnut pesto
(serves 2)

200g spelt linguine
2 zucchinis

{walnut pesto}
1 cup raw walnuts
zest and juice of one lemon
small bunch of flat-leaf parsley
a couple of sprigs of fresh oregano
1 tbsp smooth, low-fat ricotta
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp walnut oil
pinch of salt

flat-leaf parsley, to serve
lemon wedges, to serve

Start by making the pesto. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add water if too thick. Set aside.

Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchinis into long, thin strips. 

Boil water in a large saucepan. Add the linguine and cook for a few minutes or until al dente. Before draining, save a cup of the boiling water for later. Drain and return the past into the saucepan. Add pesto and mix through. If the mixture is too thick, dilute with some of the pasta water you've saved. Add zucchini strips and fold them gently into the pasta. Serve sprinkled with extra parsley and lemon wedges.



29 comments:

  1. Zucchini with pesto. Sounds healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those zuchini curls make it look so gourmet!

    I just started this healthy food photo sharing site: http://healthfreakfood.com/

    I would love it if you submitted your pretty food photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful dish! So healthy and palatable.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your like button seems off -- it's not for your site but for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hearty and fresh linguine dish.I love the you have added zucchini to it.Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This dish look SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks pretty! I love the zucchini ribbons on top! The pesto sounds like it has a lot of flavor, I am bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohje minuun makuuni,ja kuvat niin houkuttevat Maria:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and this recipe looks wonderful. The zucchini ribbons are so, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean, I love to experiment in the kitchen, but I'm not sure if I'm good at it, because half the time it's unpalatable. Lol! Your pasta sounds and looks like it would be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been following your food adventures for a while, and just suged up to your home blog too. Its always the fantastic pictures that persuade me to cook your recipes.I'm on a bit of a 'spelt' roll myself at the moment, so this fits right in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks very pretty! and sounds delicious, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your food always looks so "clean" and neat! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. linguine and zucchini sounds like a good combination, refreshing! awesome photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pasta and pesto are so mouthwatering. I love the combination of ingredients, delicious and interesting. You never know until you try things and it's better to try and fail than not try at all. You have succeeded fantastically.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this dish, so refreshing... I wonder if I use soba if it will turn out okay? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, love it! Creamy, nutter, vegetable-y, warm, scrumptious! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you made spirals of Zucchini! The recipe look so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the flavours here. Walnut pesto, that's something I love to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What's not pretty about this dish? It looks amazing and sounds like it would taste amazing too. And yay to new projects and changes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i would feel very good after eating this...satisfying and full of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delicious dish, shown in such a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Goodluck on whatever projects you are undertaking! Dive right in as they say. Thanks for this healthy recipe, looks geeewd!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your photos and styling just keep getting better and better!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love walnut pesto! sometimes i make it with sundried tomatoes and it is so good! Love this recipe and the picture is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  26. The kitchen is such a fun place to experiment...the best place really. I love how fresh and delicious this pasta dish is! I can't wait for zucchini to come back in season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The ribbon zucchinis caught my attention :) So edibly beautiful (not sure if there is such a way to describe beautiful food that you want to eat)! By the way, what is spelt linguine?

    ReplyDelete