March 18, 2011

Quince and ginger crumble with vanilla sauce


I was browsing my local green grocer this morning and found these new season quinces that looked so adorable with their little leaves. I had to get them although at the time I didn't have a clear idea in mind of what to do with them. I haven't cooked with quinces so much in the past, but bare with me as I'll be sharing a couple more quince recipes with you in the coming days.


I've given the good old crumble a revamp by using spelt flour and rolled spelt and seasoned the quinces with lovely ground ginger. Ginger is a perfect companion, I love the spiciness it brings to this dish. There is no need for butter, as I've replaced it with olive oil and used brown sugar and raw cocoa nibs to sweeten the mixture.

The vanilla sauce is a classic Finnish condiment to pies and tarts. It is sweet with vanilla and honey and nicely rounds up the spiciness of the ginger. I couldn't be happier with this special treat, it is the perfect way to start the weekend!


Quince and ginger crumble with vanilla sauce
(Serves 2-4)

250g quince*, chopped in thin slices
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup rolled spelt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp raw cocoa nibs
1/2 tsp ground ginger
60ml olive oil

{vanilla sauce}

1 large free-range egg
400ml low fat milk
3-4 tsp potato starch**
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp natural vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 180C. Oil a small oven dish (22cm x 14cm). 

Mix the quince with the lemon juice and place in the oven dish. Mix together the brown sugar and the ginger and sprinkle over the quince. 

Combine the flour and baking soda in a bowl. Add the rolled spelt, brown sugar, cocoa nibs and ginger and mix well. Add the olive oil and mix until crumbly. Spread the crumble evenly on top of the quince and bake for about 30 minutes. Leave to cool slightly.

For the vanilla sauce, lightly whisk the egg in a small saucepan. Add the milk, potato starch, vanilla and honey and whisk to combine. Simmer the mixture on low heat (do not let it boil) stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool. Serve the sauce with the crumble. 

Notes to the recipe. 
* a ripe quince should be yellow coloured
** potato starch is in Australia sold as potato flour. Use 4 teaspoons if you want the sauce to be thicker. Alternatively you can use corn flour to thicken the sauce.

Wish you a lovely weekend!



35 comments:

  1. Mmm that looks so delicious. I've yet to have the chance to try quince but I hear it's fabulous :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, and I love that wooden paddle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never eaten quinces. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still yet to cook with quince, but am keen to do so eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, this looks delectable! What a great way to use quinces, perfect for the cooler weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big fan of quince but This looks beautiful...
    Your vanilla sauce is so light, I usually use so many egg yolks to make it...i'll give yours a try...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So delicious! That quince shot is splendid.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I can grab this from my monitor, it looks so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you are having lovely mornings with those yummy baked fruit treats.I have never seen or heard of quinces, they smwhat look like pears.do they taste similar? Love the second picture with quinces sitting atop the griddle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this recipe
    At my weekend house we have such a nice quince tree, but never use them as much as we could
    I love quinces,they smell so great
    I'm keeping this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely recipe and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree quince and ginger are wonderful together, especially with a nice crumbly topping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love it with ginger. We can't seem to find quince around here too freely unless it's in a tin. Did you use fresh ginger or crystallized ginger? I have used crystallized ginger in a plum crumble. Yours looks wonderful, is there any left? :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't go past a good crumble but I've never thought of making a quince one before! I love the smell of ripe quinces, will have to find me some. That crumble topping looks very "mouth-full" too, love your photos! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really hope I find quinces someday so that I can make this. It looks beyond amazing. I love that you used spelt flour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have me drooling as usual. I love putting ginger in. It add such a wonderful layer of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your styling & photography are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome idea! I've never baked with quince before, but I love baking crumbles and ginger is one of my favorite things in life :) So, needless to say, I'd love this! (I said it anyway!)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks beautiful and nutritious and wonderful. Sounds like I've got my weekend breakfast menued out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. this does look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks sooo delicious! I have never baked with quince before, I need to get my hands on some! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your photography, it makes me swoon every time!

    I've never tried quince before but people seem to be gaga over it; so I think it may be time for this girl to give it a try!

    xoxo
    bianca

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks delicious. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great photos! the quince looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous.. love the soft mood of the photos.. never tasted quince before. need to find it in the markets this year...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I can't believe quince has arrived! I don't want summer to end :( Another beautiful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your pictures. and between the use of spelt flour and olive oil, this sounds very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just saw the cacao nibs in the crumble and my heart skipped a beat. How I want a bowlful of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice shots and the combo sounds very comforting. Lovely weekend to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good morning, Maria. This looks really interesting. I haven't done a lot of cooking with quince, though I have made jelly with it. This sounds really healthy and your photos certainly make it appealing. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  31. I adore your photography, it always looks so gorgeously rustical!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I want some for my breakfast! This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  33. mmmm...wow! this looks like the perfect thing to enjoy over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can you believe I've never cooked with quince before? I'd love to make my own quince paste, but something like this crumble might be a good way to familiarize myself with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks beautiful. I have never cooked with quinces before. I love quince paste though.

    ReplyDelete