March 04, 2011

Home-made gifts and breakfast granola


Can you think of any better gift to give than something home-made? I'm definitely a giver, and I love making and buying gifts to others. When my boyfriend and I first started dating, I used any excuse to buy him gifts - they needn't be big, just a little token here and there. I've always loved crafting and knitting as well, but nowadays I most enjoy making home-made food gifts.


This granola is so easy to make and I think it makes a nice little gift stored in a glass jar with a little ribbon around it. And don't worry, this will make a big enough batch so you can have a big bowlful for yourself as well :-)


Breakfast granola

1 cup wholegrain rolled oats
1 cup rolled spelt
1/2 cup rolled rye
1 cup raw almonds
2 tbsp white sesame seeds
3 tbsp raw cacao nibs
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp maple syrup

Preheat oven to 170C and line a large cookie tray with a baking paper. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and spread the mixture evenly on the cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until crunchy, but be careful not to burn it! Leave to cool, then store in an air-tight container.