March 10, 2011

Grilled watermelon and haloumi salad


Just as I thought I will finally get to enjoy the cooler weather here in Sydney, the Mother Nature goes and throws in another scorcher with 30 degrees heat. I shouldn't be complaining, I suppose, as soon enough I'll be telling you it's too cold and we have no proper heating. 

So lets just say, to enjoy the last days of summer and the beautiful watermelons I've been wolfing down like there's no tomorrow, I decided to try an idea I once read in a Swedish cookbook by Tina Nordström. I've always been a huge fan of her bubbly personality and thick Skåne (Southern Sweden) accent and I knew her idea of grilling a watermelon was not a dumb one. 

Unlike Tina, however, I wanted to pair the watermelon with some gorgeously salty haloumi and deep, rich balsamic dressing. I'm glad I did, as the salad was just perfect for a hot day and I will most certainly be making this one again! 

Grilled watermelon and Haloumi salad
(Serves 2)

1/2 seedless watermelon, cut into thick slices
1 tsp ground Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp chili flakes (more if you like it hot)
1 tbsp olive oil

200g haloumi, sliced
pinch of ground paprika, extra

1 sprig of fresh thyme
mixed salad leaves, to serve
olives, to serve

{Dressing}

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic
1 tbsp raw honey


Heat a frying pan or a grilling pan on high. Brush the watermelon slices with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and chili. Place the watermelon slices on the pan and fry on both sides for a couple of minutes. Set aside. 
Fry the haloumi slices on both sides until golden and soft. Combine the dressing ingredients.

Place some salad leaves on a platter, top with watermelon slices and shredded haloumi. Add olives and sprinkle with fresh thyme. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.

32 comments:

  1. I remember how excited I was when I discovered the deliciousness of watermelon and feta salad. Halloumi would surely be just as scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your recipes just get more and more creative! I can not wait until watermelon is available at our local market :) Thank you Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watermelon and Halloumi is a classic - almost tradditional- summer lunch/dinner for most Cypriots!
    Your salad looks deliiiicious!

    thalassamov

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love watermelon in our household, so it's great to see another way to use it! That salad looks mouthwateringly good for these last few warm/ hot days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grilled watermelon, wow! And halloumi, that's just great. Have a nice day Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks surprisingly good ;) sadly I don't like watermelon but my partner would love this. I still think of your nectarine and haloumi salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your salad reminds me of summers in Lebanon as kids we had friends we'd meet at the pool club and they always ordered watermelon and feta, every single day. Does sound great to add these spices like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm this looks amazing! I love haloumi and I love watermelon in savoury dishes. This salad has my name all over it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried grilling watermelon before, but now that I've seen how wonderful this looks, I'd probably have to try it. It's a shame I can't take haloumi,but I think this would taste just as good with goat cheese:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so refreshing! Such a nice combination of sweet and salty flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grilled watermelon is one of those things that I think looks really interesting, but when I go to make it I just end up eating the watermelon raw instead. Let's hope I find the willpower to give this recipe a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always had watermelon fresh - quite intrigued by this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you've spiced it up with a little paprika, and the thyme would be nice as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never tried watermelon grilled, but sounds like an intriguing idea. Halloumi is a favorite of mine. I am sure the combination was a killer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehe I know what you mean! I was all ready to pack up the summer gear and then came yesterday! This looks wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of grilling watermelon and it makes me really curious to try it. Such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fresh, flavorful and original! A lovely salad.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ihanan kaunis ja houkutteleva salaatti taas,jota pitääkin kokeilla heti kun vesimelonien aika koittaa...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the watermelon with paprika, lovely plate of salad. Gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks wonderfully fresh. Love the flavors of watermelon and cheese - I've used feta often, but Halloumi is an awesome option too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't mind the warm days and cooler nights, don't want winter to come too fast! Never thought of grilling watermelon though I have eaten it with something savoury, it just works!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so fortunate to have such beautiful fresh fruits and veg available to you. Our produce looks lovely and tastes like paper...
    Anyhow, beautiful and fresh!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks perfect for our upcoming summer over here! Just the right kind of salty-sweet-refreshing salad I need right now :)

    We sometimes get Tina Nordström's New Scandinavian Cooking show here...I am sure they are old episodes already but I always enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Grilled watermelon is such a clever idea! Watermelon always makes me think of summer - especially seeing how far you could spit the seeds in the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  25. NY is still chilly and rainy (a progression from snow, I guess!) so I'll have to wait a few months before trying this salad - something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maria, I never had this combination of watermelon and Halloumi...looks delicious and so refreshing. Love the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cannot wait for summer now! The pepper on the melon looks spectacular and I bet tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. yum that looks divine. Love grilled watermelon, cant wait for summer here!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A very unique salad! I love the paprika here and the pairing of watermelon with haloumi!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG I am SO making this as soon as the weather warms up a little here in the UK! Love everything about this salad - the colours, the textures & the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds amazing. I am a haloumi fan and will be making this when summer hits the states. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! That is a beautiful salad... stunning photography!

    Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete