March 25, 2011

Energisers - Almond butter squares



*Phew* It's been a busy week! My mind is spinning with new ideas and inspiration and the whole week has just flown by. No matter how busy it gets, however, I just can't go without eating properly. I notice when my blood sugar and energy levels are running low and I don't like munching on just anything I can get my hands on. I often carry snacks like nuts and seeds or fresh fruit with me in case things get a little hectic and I won't have time for a proper meal.

These little squares are packed with energy and natural ingredients. You can easily change the recipe to suit your taste and preferences: try adding chia seeds and ground cinnamon, different nuts and dried berries, for instance. They make an excellent home-made food gift too!


 Almond butter squares
(Makes 16-20 squares)

1 1/2 cups raw almonds

1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
3 tablespoon unsweetened apple sauce

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup raw cocoa nibs
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Preheat your oven to 200C. Spread the almonds evenly on a baking tray and roast for about 10 minutes. Transfer the nuts into a food processor and process for about 10 minutes or until the texture is smooth and butter-like. Place the almond butter into a saucepan along with maple syrup, honey, vanilla and apple sauce and heat just enough to mix the ingredients together. Remove from the heat.

Mix the oats, coconut, cherries, cocoa and almonds in a separate bowl. Spoon the almond butter mixture on top and mix everything together. Be patient, the mixture is sticky but the stickier it is the better!

Spoon the mixture into a square tin (20 cm x 20 cm) rinsed with cold water. Spread evenly, then refrigerate for a couple of hours. Cut into squares before serving.




41 comments:

  1. Awesome! I wouldn't mind to have some of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look like great little snacks to bring to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little squares! Surely addictive.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind having some. Such pretty clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm fantastic idea! Thanks for the tip, I won't mind having some on those days either :) And homemade! Instead of the sugar-ladened ones from store

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo. I make a similar thing sometimes, just unbaked

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are not baked!!!I like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super YUM!! I'd love to try these soon. I love everything you've packed into these beauties. Great photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! These look lovely - and I love your packaging too. Thanks for all the good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those snacks look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those squares look yummy but I'll also gladly take that pair of scissors and twine. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These little squares are perfect for a snack at work. I wish I had a few to bite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are perfect for a post workout snack!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretty little homemade granola bars! I feel more energized just looking at their all-star ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing looking..beautiful pictures.I love all the ingredients in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Almond butter, coconut and cacao nibs - I love all the ingredients! Can I have a square please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous squares, they're surely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look like a perfect gift to brighten someones day! And these lovely pictures have brightened mine!

    xoxo
    bianca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds wonderful...so much better than the commercial, store bought ones. It is a good idea to carry healthy snacks with you..Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sound like the perfect snack! Much better than anything store-bought. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are super fancy. Fab idea!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I HAVE to make these. I have to! Oh heavens, I'm in love! Gah, I hate when I'm busy and miss out on stopping by your blog every day! Catch up time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look positively crunch-a-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my gosh, these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the homemade almond butter in these...sounds incredible! I need to make these soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the twine and vintage scissors... I've neglected myself this week and I am detoxing.. I can't miss meals on my blood sugar drops... when you mean raw almonds... is that literally raw? I might have trouble finding them raw can I sub for already roasted?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you all for your comments! :-)

    Elle Marie: With 'raw' I mean unsalted, unroasted almonds, but you can try using already roasted, they should work just as fine. :-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Just to check (sorry to labour the point) but the nuts don't need to be soaked, do they? Just straight out of the packet (unsalted unroasted)?
      Thanks, I'm going to try to make these as soon as I work out how to make the almond butter!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sam,

      No, not soaked. Just raw unsalted and unroasted.

      Good luck!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  28. Wow- I swear I was just here and already you have 2 new posts. I can't keep up with you girl- and I thought I was a cooking machine! I love these cookies and with the almonds make it a perfect treat to carry to a party or send to a friend in need.

    Oh- you know what? I bet you could also use like sugar coated almonds or pecans and it would up the flavor even more? Just a thought
    Oh and I love your cashew addition to the saffron rice. I think I might try that!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look delicious Maria - will have to find some gluten free oats and make them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look so pretty and sound so yummy. Must try making these soon! Are the rolled oats uncooked? Would crunchy almond butter work too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are uncooked rolled oats. Crunchy almond butter would probably work just as well.

      Maria

      Delete
  31. I tried making these today. I'm not sure if I didn't grind the almond enough or maybe there was not enough, but the mixture did not hold together and I just had crumbs. The applesauce of omitted because I didn't have any, maybe this is the reason? Still yummy though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The applesauce is a key ingredient as it is one of the binders to hold it together :-) Glad to hear it was tasty nevertheless!

      Maria

      Delete
  32. How many cups of almonds are used? I was confused because the recipe reads 1,5 cups. Thank you! they look divine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      1,5 cups means "one and a half cups".

      Maria

      Delete
  33. Hello again,

    I have successfully made these squares and they are divine! thank, thank! I have one question. Do you know how long they will keep for? What is the best storage method?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear!

      I would keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days. I haven't tried freezing them, but you could always try that too.

      Maria
      x

      Delete