March 11, 2011

Cinnamon and apple muffins with honeyed nut topping

 

I have been obsessing over new season apples as soon as I saw them hitting the markets and the green grocers. What to do with them, how do they taste like, are they sweet enough yet? I wanted something with lots of cinnamon, honey - and my favourite - nuts. Should I put the apples on top or into the dough? Or nuts on top? So many choices!


I think these red apples look perfect as they are. Gorgeous red hue, they look as pretty as flowers!



So I decided to use the apples in the batter and make a sweet honeyed nut topping. Perfect! These muffins are sweet, full of cinnamon, lots of apple and the sticky nut topping is a welcoming contrast to the soft cake.

Cinnamon and apple muffins with honeyed nut topping
(Makes 12 big muffins)

2 large free-range eggs
200ml unsweetened apple sauce
400ml low-fat milk
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
250g white, unbleached spelt flour
200g whole spelt flour
4 tsp baking powder
50g brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
100g apples, cut into small cubes

{honeyed nut topping}
50g almonds
30g pecans
30g walnuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 heaped tbsp raw honey

Preheat your oven to 175C. Arrange 12 large paper muffin cups in a muffin tin. In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, apple sauce, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Finally add the apples and fold well. Spoon the batter into the cups and bake for about 15 minutes. 

In the mean while, combine all ingredients for the nut topping. Remove the muffins from the oven, spoon a tablespoon of the topping on each muffin, then continue to bake a further 5-10 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Have a lovely weekend!

29 comments:

  1. Maria, those apples are gorgeous--how could anyone not want to make something as scrumptious as these muffins with them!? Love the crunchy nut topping. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These apple muffins are so Autumn-my. Love the honeyed nuts, must add a nice crunch. Thnx for sharing your gorgeous photos and recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples and cinnamon, that's a lovely combo! And the nut topping, aahhh :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cinnamon and apple flavors, the muffins look gorgeous. Glad to find it from Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely muffins Maria, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great muffins! I particularly like that topping.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pure and honest ingredients always make me smile. Having an 8 year old son in the house I am forever baking treats for him and pay incredible attention to what goes in them. These are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little muffins, love the clustered nuts on top. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love new season apples too! These look so divine, apple cinnamon muffins are my favourite and your honey nuts are a great idea, i may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous shots!
    Those muffins looks wonderful. A fabulous treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my son already thanks you. He is obsessed with cinnamon. Don't really know why but cinnamon and nutmeg are his favorites spices. These looks wonderful and so moist! Thanks girl and have a great weekend. Oh I have a fun giveaway at my site today- you should check it out! Xo
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that honey-nut topping. We're at the end of apple season here in N. America and there are still tons of apples at the greenmarkets, so I'm looking for new ways to use them. These muffins are refreshingly different from the apple crumbles I've been making lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are such lovely appley nut muffins. My kinda thing all the way. Beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous...even though I'm cutting back on carbs for a few weeks I have to stop by for your gorgeous food photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so enticing. I'm trying to cut back on sweets, but am not doing very well :-). The topping on your muffins sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, these muffins are darling. The topping sounds delicious. I think it would be grand toppled over a scoop of creamy, homemade vanilla bean ice cream. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apple cinnamon is really one of the best flavor combinations out there! THese muffins look so cute with those nuts on top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These muffins sound delicious, and your photographs are stunning! I'm saving this recipe for the fall :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, these are just beautiful. I just recently made some muffins which i thought were pretty fab, but i think your's put mine to shame. Simply stunning!
    Just wanted to let you know I'm doing a give away on my blog for $80 Amazon gift card :), do stop over and enter!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such beautiful photography...! The muffins look totally delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just had my first farmers' market pink lady of the season last week - divine :) As always, I'm in love with this recipe of yours. It's almost painful to visit your blog; I want everything!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Apples and cinnamon together are meant to be! And I like your addition of honeyed nuts =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really adore the vintage-like sifter, is it vintage?

    ReplyDelete
  24. your photos are outstanding none speaking of that perfect muffin recipe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I use all purpose flour instead of this spelt one?
    Can't find it here in Brazil.
    Do I keep the same measure?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Andre,

    All purpose flour or wholewheat flour should work just as well with same measurements.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete