March 31, 2011

Autumn flavours - Potato and Rutabaga Tarts


These gorgeous gum nuts are my pick of the fresh flowers this week. I love how majestic and bold yet humble and beautiful they look. They are a welcoming change to the summery flowers I've been having around the home over the past few months! 


Autumn is on its way and the weather has been warm but rainy. I am loving the new season produce and embracing the changing flavours in my cooking. This time of the year always reminds me of autumn in Finland (although I'm obviously talking Northern Hemisphere autumn) when the whole family would join my granny and other relatives and harvest the potatoes that had been growing on granny's land for the past few months. It was such a joy to pick the golden potatoes from the ground and we would enjoy granny's hearty lunch after a hard day's work. I have wonderful memories from those times.


The scent and flavour of this potato and rutabaga tart are inevitably autumny. I love the sweetness of rutabaga combined with the rosemary and nutmeg. This is a perfect autumn dish!


 Potato and Rutabaga Tarts
(makes 4)

{base}

370g potatoes, mashed
35g brown rice flour
70g plain gluten-free flour
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1 large free-range egg white
50ml olive oil

{filling}

250g rutabaga, coarsely grated
250g smooth, low-fat ricotta
1 large free-range egg
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
pinch of ground nutmeg


1. Preheat your oven to 175C. Grease and flour four (14cm) fluted tart tins.

2. Combine the base ingredients in a bowl and knead lightly until smooth and thoroughly mixed. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.

3. Combine all ingredients for the filling and set aside.

4. Divide the base dough into 4 equal portions and press evenly into the tins. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.

5. Fill the tart cavities with the filling and bake for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.




35 comments:

  1. As you are entering fall, we are entering spring. I can't wait to see your take on autumns bounty!

    Xoxo
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell us some more about rutabaga? I've never heard of it before!
    Love those flowers, very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I can feel Autumn just by looking at your pictures. It's beautiful! I would really love to try this recipe. If only my body allows me to ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful photos! I remember digging up potatoes from the garden as a kid too, lots of fun to get covered in dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious, i have never heard of rutabaga before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots, my dear. Always wondered what would be a good way to use rutabaga. Tried to eat it as mash by itself one time and it was not to my taste. Love your flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of rutabaga either! Looks lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen gum nut flowers before, but I sure wish they grew around here. I love how they look, especially their almost vintage, white-washed look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you presented this dish, every picture tells a wonderful story :) Oh just curious, are you gluten-intolerant?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful memories... Those tartlets are wonderful and that combination is interesting.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post, gorgeous shots and a savory tart!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would it be bad to admit I have no idea what rutabaga is? I have never heard of it!! Anyway, regardless your tart sounds really good... and potato again! I just read Lorraine's blog about candy potato too hehe is that a theme today?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's right... fall will soon come your way... what a fab savory tart = )

    ReplyDelete
  14. At first I wondered what rutabaga was, until I scrolled your photo. Aha! Us Brits call it swede!!

    These look lovely. Again, your photos make this impossible not to bookmark and come back to later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rutabaga is totally new to me...
    I have to ask google what it is... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria, I can't decide what I like better, the delicious tart, the quiet beauty of the gum nut bouquet or the overall rustic beauty of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love rutabaga and I have never thought about doing a dish like this with potato. Genius and the pictures are magazine cover good. I have made a rutabaga cake before- sort of like your chocolate zucchini cake you posted earlier. It was divine but now I need to try your tart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pictures and the tarts look mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's great to see spring coming on one side of the Earth, and autumn on the other. Both lovely, productive seasons
    These tarts are absolutely great. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look delicious. I'll try to make some... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing photos and good to know about a new ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks so beautiful.I have never cooked that combo.Thanks for sharing about those flowers.I had not heard about them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So funny to think that you are entering autumn while we are just beginning to experience spring! These tarts look scrumptious. I love the thought of ricotta & rosemary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. mmm i can imagine eating this in the country side somewhere with fresh green rolling hills, sunshine and good company!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really is a beautiful creation and I'm sorely tempted to throw calorie caution to the wind and make it for my family. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovely pics, I'm going to miss the summer :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah Autumn is on it's way for you and Spring is on it's way for me! Maria your recipes are gorgeous and so are your photos, you always inspire :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is so neat to see that you are looking forward to fall and I am soooo looking forward to spring! These tarts sound incredible. I have never heard of gum nuts flowers before, they are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are beautiful, as are these little tarts! I've never cooked/baked with rutabaga before, but I might have to!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  30. I recently realized just how much I love rutabagas and this tart definitely sounds very autumnal. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These little tarts look scrumptious! I just discovered your delightful blog - love your beautiful photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was like what rutabaga, but then of course it's a swede!!! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I made this today and it worked out well. I'd add a bit more salt next time and perhaps some grated, sauteed onions.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Linking back to these beauties tomorrow :)
    Have you joined us at Project Lunch Box yet? This post would be a great link up http://su.pr/221xT1

    ReplyDelete