February 23, 2011

Simple Things and Sweet Potato Tart


What do you do when you need to re-focus and de-clutter your mind and your body? Do you go on detox for a few days? Go for a run? Listen to music? Meditate? I'm sure we all have different ways of balancing our minds and bodies, but how often do we actually remember to do so? If you're like me and have a very active mind, it's often hard to completely close things off and de-stress. When I do notice the imbalance I need to surround myself with the simple things in life, look at them and realise their beauty and importance.


Today was one of those days: I found it hard to concentrate on anything, I was having back pain, I had things that 'needed to get done'. No doubt we all have those days, so you probably know what I'm talking about. I don't seem to do very well in the kitchen then either and I crave for simplicity and pure flavours: a fresh salad, completed with a piece of seasonal fruit or a cup of herbal tea. That is all. 

I would love to hear what you think, what do you do when you feel like re-focusing and de-stressing? 


Sweet potato tart with rosemary and feta

Crust

1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup plain gluten-free flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup cold water

Filling

500g sweet potato, thinly sliced
2 large free-range eggs
150ml milk
freshly ground black pepper
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
100g feta cheese

To make the base, combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead lightly to combine. Scoop out the dough on a tart tin (25cm) brushed with oil. Using your fingers, smooth the dough evenly on to the bottom and the edges of the tin. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 170C. Blind-bake the base for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with sweet potato slices. Whisk the eggs lightly with some milk and pour onto the sweet potato. Season with black pepper and scatter with rosemary. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the tart from the oven and crumple with feta cheese. Continue to bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.

27 comments:

  1. I love that last shot!

    I generally like to lie on the floor and listen to music, or watch my favorite series or cook/bake.

    That savory tart looks lovely.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple things are the best...
    For me music is very soothing and helps to re-focus.
    Ihana piirakka,tuota pitää kyllä joku päivä tehdä!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to the gym, work out for an hour, come back and take a shower! I feel great afterward!
    Sometimes I just watch my favorite series!

    This tart looks wonderful and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. De-stressing to me is pouring a glass of wine, sitting in my back courtyard under the rustling bamboo stems and watching my koi swim around the pond. The sound of the bubbling water is my perfect relaxant

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delish and beautiful photography, as always! I clean to clear my mind. If I'm not in an organized space I can't focus.
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for your blog! I really like :-))
    The photos are great recipes even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous - every time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tart is gorgeous! I adore sweet potatoes, and I love that you used olive instead of butter for the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I'm trying to refocus I either go for a run or get in the kitchen! I love this savory sweet potato tart! Need to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! love that avocado shot. Now all I want is avocados haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Maria! Nice new profile picture!

    As always - gourgeous photos, I love (and envy a bit) the light you have! :)
    Thanks good, we can have lot's of ways to de-stress! I usually like the long walks, but it is now freezing outside, so baking, or cleaning the house, or talking with a friend, or a cup of tea, or sometimes even one song can make me focus and remember what's important.

    P.S. What the white rings in between the sweet potatoes are made from? Is this also sweet potato?

    ReplyDelete
  12. great pics - that avocado looks absolutely luscious - and such a lovely tart! My favorite de-stressors, in no particular order: a long walk outside, yoga, drinking herbal tea, listening to music - especially doing any any/all of these someplace near the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at sweet potato! Yum! It sure is a crazy world we live in. I always look forward to the weekend when I get to just chill out and spend some time with the boy, that's my way of relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually like to exercise to de-clutter my mind and body but since I am sick now, I could only stay in and do some cooking. I guess spending time in the kitchen also helps - it is therapeutic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving all your de-cluttering and de-stressing ways! Keep them coming! :-)

    Borislava: You guessed it, the white 'rings' are also sweet potato, the purple variety!

    Thank you all, I really appreciate it!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing, i really love sweet potato. I like to cook when i need to forget about the world and take time out. The kitchen is my haven at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I write when I feel that way, it helps me put things in perspective. Otherwise I'll just try for some alone time, because I'm almost always constantly around someone. I love your photos, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Maria,

    What camera do you use to take your gorgeous pictures?

    I knit or crochet to switch off and relax :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tart wasn't what I was expecting at all as I've made sweet potato tartlets before but this looks really good. I look forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Onpa sinulla ihania ohjeita ja kuvia täällä! Ja oletpa tuottelias :) Olen käynyt ennenkin, mutta en ole aiemmin tainnut jättää kommenttia. Nyt selasin tämän vuoden jutut ja niin paljon kivoja ohjeita. Tulen uudelleen varmasti :)

    Mukavaa loppuviikkoa sinne kauas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maria! Utterly LOVING your food styling and the scrawly words! Gives it your own style... and hey this reminds me of a sweet potato cheesecake I once made. Although mine's probably infinitely more unhealthy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to be alone and read to de stress. or a cozy vacation if time allows. The tart looks wonderfully comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the new look of your blog (yeah sorry might be a little behind - but im back now!) and great pics! yeah totally get what you mean with destressing, esp with this time of the year its always non stop. But i guess my bit of destressing is sunshine, ill be walking along and when the sun kisses my skin it always makes me stop and savour the moment, however hectic i am at that moment in time. like you said simple.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have a beautiful site, and amazing photography to go with it! Thank you for your comment! This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmm...love this because I love sweet potatoes. I would love to try. Would make a nice lunch for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. your blog is so gorgeous:) love this post on sweet potatoes..! thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your dishes look yum … loved the presentation of the food ! good work
    you can view some of my dishes on http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com ! i would be really happy if you follow it

    ReplyDelete