February 04, 2011

Runeberg's Cakes


Tomorrow is Runeberg's Day in Finland. Runeberg, our national poet, is not only known for his poems and stories, but also for the tarts named after him. Runeberg's tarts were apparently first baked by, who else, but Mrs Runeberg and they are only ever served on this particular day of the year.



My version is a modernised, healthy version of the original tarts which usually include sugar, butter, eggs, plain flour, almond meal and bread or cookie crumbs (even ginger bread is often used). The tarts are always topped with jam and decorated with a circle of icing. They really are like big muffins, but for some reason they are called 'tarts'.

I always remember these tarts from school when we ate them after our warm school meal. I remember the taste of bitter almond extract and the unique texture. Even now when I open a bottle of bitter almond extract it takes me right back to primary school.


I must admit it's been years since I've had a Runeberg's tart, and it's about time I offer you my version of these tarts. I've replaced all butter with apple sauce and plain yoghurt, I've used dried rye crumbs and seasoned the mixture with cinnamon and cloves. I am so happy with the outcome, and I don't think Mrs Runeberg would be hugely offended by my version of her tarts.

Happy Runeberg's Day and happy weekend everyone!


Runeberg's Cakes*
(Makes 4 large cakes)

 1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup dried rye crumbs** 
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
3 large free-range eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup fat-free plain yoghurt
1/2 tsp bitter almond aroma***
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
cloudberry jam, for serving
icing sugar, for serving

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix together the dry ingredients including the almond meal, dried rye crumbs, brown sugar, spices and baking powder. In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients. Combine the two and mix into a smooth batter. Pour the mixture into muffin tins (about 125 ml each). Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool then carve out a bit off the top and add a spoonful of cloudberry jam (or jam of your choice). Sprinkle with icing sugar.

Notes on the recipe

* These are originally called 'tarts', but I am calling them cakes because I think they are more cake-like
**If you can't find shop-bought dried rye crumbs you can make your own using rolled rye (about a tablespoon or two) processed with full-rye crisps or crackers. 
***Bitter almond aroma is different to sweet almond essence.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Ihanaa, että teet runebergin torttuja siellä asti! Voi kun itsekin saisin joskus aikaiseksi leipoa jotakin (viimeksi meni Creme Brulee -torttu pilalle - oli erilainen kuin tavallinen creme brulee ;)) no joka tapauksessa, ihania ihania kuvia !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! These look really nice and they are healthy :) I have also made Runeberg cakes and they will be on my blog tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time is afternoon tea, I'll be there lol ...they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious! Happy Runeberg Day!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally cannot stand almond essence, so I wonder what my opinion would be of bitter almond aroma? In any case these look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are too pretty, Maria! I love, love, love your styling. Cakes with jam are something I just cannot say no to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really feel like a kid in the candy store, when I read a recipe, see a new fashion collection of something i've never word, or eaten... thanks for sharing this and the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God your photos are just gorgeous! What kind of light are you using? Natural daylight? Lowel Ego? I use an LE but I have to take all my photos in the dead of night so they never come out quite as bright.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of these little cakes! They're so cute especially with the jam on top. I really like the fact that these cakes are named after a poet. Will you ever post the original recipe? Even it is unhealthy ;)
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first visit to your blog and your "tarts" look wonderful! I love the jam on top. Your photos and styling are simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look fabulous!
    Happy Runeberg Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look beautiful Maria. I like the idea of a nice spoon of jam on top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria, I knew I could always count on you to make things healthier for us! Love the addition of apple sauce and yogurt - loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So wholesome! Plus, I love how the texture looks so chewy and bouncy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of this poet or these tarts, but they sound delicious! I love the almond infusion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From the looks of it I am sure Mrs Runeberg wouldn't mind that you've adapted her recipe and made it your own =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. these look so good i love your blog pics and how the recipes are somewhat healthier. newest folllower haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look beautiful! I love the idea of using rye crumbs, which I think I may just borrow :)

    ReplyDelete