February 02, 2011

Quinoa with Figs and Goat Cheese



Every year I wait eagerly for the fig season. I find this gorgeous fruit utterly fascinating, delicate and glamorous. It makes me happy just to see them appearing in stores and markets, and I instantly start thinking of recipes to use them for. There is no wrong way of enjoying this fruit: it's delicious on its own complexity, it pairs wonderfully with honey and nuts and it is the Queen of any cheese platter.

This simple dish doesn't ask for anything else but good ingredients - fresh figs are essential. I love the softness pared with quinoa and the crunchy pistachios, and the natural sweetness of the figs and raw honey. Rose petals are such an easy way to make any dish that little bit extra special.



Quinoa with Figs and Goat Cheese
(Serves 2)

1 cup quinoa
2 figs
50g goat cheese
2 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp pistachios
rose petals, for serving

Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the figs in a small over proof dish and cut a cross section on top of each fruit. Gently open the fig and place the goat cheese into the cut. Drizzle with honey and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the goat cheese and the figs have softened.

While the figs are in the oven, rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to boil and cook for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Drain out any extra liquid, then spoon into small dishes.

Sprinkle the figs with chopped pistachios and spoon over any extra honey left on the dish. Place the figs on top of the quinoa and sprinkle with rose petals.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Simple ingredients and easy cooking! Looks like a healthy & delicious treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous Maria. I've never seen yellow figs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ingredients: they remind me of my summer vacations in Provence :)) The association of goat cheese and figs is exquisite. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That just screams summer ... and it's nine degrees Fahrenheit here. I am longing to be sitting in a nice Pacific climate digging into that ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! What kind of figs are those - I'm not sure if I've ever seen figs that yellow over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, especially served with the rose petals! What a special dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful, even though I'm not a fan of quinoa or figs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fig season as well and you have worked wonders with these! I can't wait until it is fig season again here so I can make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so beautiful…as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a wonderful way to enjoy figs.

    I’d love for your to submit them to Vegolicious, a vegetarian food photo gallery where readers can browse beautiful photos to discover new recipes and wonderful blogs. If you would like to share this recipe with our readers please submit a photo along with a link to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love figs so much it was one of the first things I planted in my garden when I moved in 10 years ago and now it gives us masses of the green skinned variety in summer and a second smaller crop in early autumn. Figs need to eaten the day they are picked so it's especially good having a tree to pick them from. I love the idea of pairing them with the quinoa - never tried that before and I can imagine the chewy slightly nutty taste/texture would go very well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't fresh figs truly the best? Photos look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the new site layout. This recipe is perfection. I love each and every element and all the photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how youve laid out the recipe! I also look forward to fig season, I've had them with blue cheese but not with quinoa too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fig season too! This is a great way to use fig. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy figs but for us, the season has passed. While I wait for the season for fresh figs, I enjoy the dried figs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Great combo. I've got most of these ingredients but my oven is broken. Drats!

    ReplyDelete