February 08, 2011

Olive, Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Loaf


I like to think that food can take you around the world in your own kitchen. When I'm feeling home sick, I find myself cooking more Scandinavian foods and I instantly feel connected again. If I want to reminisce our recent trip to Japan, I gather together ingredients we enjoyed whilst there. With olives, sun dried tomatoes and feta, I am travelling around the country side in Southern Europe.

This loaf is dotted with luscious olives, sun dried tomatoes and soft feta cheese. All ingredients I love treating myself every once in a while. I've used a little rye mixed with spelt to create a healthy and earthy taste that marries well with the salty companions.

Come, take a bite and travel with me!


Olive, Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Loaf

1/2 cup organic rye flour
1/2 cup organic white, unbleached spelt flour
3/4 cup organic wholemeal spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 large free-range eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup (20 or so) small olives, pitted and finely chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
100g fat-reduced feta cheese, chopped into tiny cubes
tiny pinch of dried thyme

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a medium size loaf tin. In a bowl, sieve together the flours, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, add the milk, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, feta and a pinch of thyme. Fold the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wired rack, and enjoy warm.


Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. Delicious! I love to eat such breads during the summertime.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you...I love travel around the world in my kitchen...it's cheap, simple, and gives great satisfactions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bread! Looks so good and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very good and tasty! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try your recipe this summer : your bread looks so soft and tasty, and it retains the flavour and colour of the tomatoes. Great shots as always !

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yummy wholesome goodness! a great treat that id love to make sometime soon...im trying to cut back on sugar these days so a savory loaf seems like the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savory and delish! Beautiful images too!
    Cupcake
    www.thefamily-table.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is a fabulous reminder that I really should cook more savory quickbreads! I love the eastern European/mediterranean flavors in here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria, I'm a huge sucker for savory breads, and this looks glorious. With a couple of little kids on our hands, we've been traveling from our kitchen a lot these past few years. It's second-best, to be sure, but it can still be pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter loves when I make her bread with Italian herbs.
    This is one both she and I would love!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maria, your loaf looks oustanding. Love the combination of olive/tomato/feta...gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet this is one satisfying bread. All those lovely savory ingredients combine for a loaf that would be almost a meal unto itself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm, sounds very Greek, perfect for this hot-but-cooling weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm! Sounds delicious. A big bread fan and feta ans sun dried tomato just make it better. This one will definitely be tried out as going through a definite bread making phase.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the link between food and memory. Taste (and smell) have the ability to take you straight back to a magical moment in time. It's a great way to cure whatever the opposite of home sickness is.

    Nice simple bread recipe too, and also packed full of wonderful Mediterranean flavours, not to mention a memory of sand, heat and the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh this is one of my favourite combination!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures are stunning and what a great bread! Olives and sun-dried tomatoes are a wonderful combo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a perfect combo! Need to experiment with more savoury baking here in this kitchen, hard when the baker has a huge sweet tooth =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this cake and it's indeed very good :) I didn't add too many olives, tomatoes and feta and this way, it definitely needs a little salt. but otherwise, perfect recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Off to try this one out today! Please visit Toast sometime soon where there is a nice wee award waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one tasty sounding savoury quick bread!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This bread sounds fantastic, but alas, I hate olives. Can you suggest another salty ingredient to replace it with? I could just leave it out altogether, but somehow I feel a third ingredient would be a nice thing to have...

    ReplyDelete