February 22, 2011

Market Days and Quinoa Peach Cake



It is always a highlight of the week for me when I get to go to the farmers' markets. There is a different kind of atmosphere: people are out early, catching up by a cup of coffee, having breakfast and buying some incredible produce form the local farmers and the talented artisans. Although I fully understand the convenience of supermarkets, there is just something so 'right' about buying groceries from the farmers' markets. It gives you a good feeling and a clean conscience when you know you are helping the small entrepreneurs.


When I visit the markets I am always on the look out for seasonal produce, fresh loaf of bread, fresh flowers and some special treats such as good olive oil, vinegars, organic nuts and dried fruit.


Now, I have to warn you, this quinoa peach cake is not for the faint hearted. It is not too sweet, but it is very moist and has some definite notes of quinoa. I love using almond or hazelnut meal in cakes and you may have noticed I prefer using alternative flours rather than plain wheat flour. This cake was, however, a perfect little treat after a morning of shopping at the markets and a perfect way to celebrate seasonal produce!


Quinoa Peach Cake

3 large, free-range eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup organic, fat-free yoghurt
1/2 cup organic, unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
100 g organic quinoa flour
50 g almond meal
50 g hazelnut meal
3 peaches, cut into thin wedges
icing sugar, to serve

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a 23 cm round cake tin. Using electric beaters, whisk the eggs and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add yoghurt, apple sauce and vanilla and stir to combine. Mix the baking powder into the flour and sift the flour into the egg mixture. Fold to combine. Lastly, fold in almond meal, hazelnut meal and the peaches. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve warm dusted with icing sugar.
 
 Enjoy!

32 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, I LOVE YOUR PICS they are so pretty...do you make your own quinoa flour? And can you detect any aftertaste? I know sometimes it can have a little bitter flavor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you Maria! The Farmers Market, I love the atmosphere, the fresh produce and people....there's something wholesome, neighbourly and earthy. I don't know how to put it into words of how it makes me feel...I do love it though. Beats a super market any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love farmer's markets! Yours looks lovely.

    That cake must be mighty delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls!

    Tenina: I buy quinoa flour from health food stores. There is no bitter flavour, but you can definitely taste the quinoa!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pics! And the cake, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinoa flour in baking sounds so exciting and healthy! Lovely cake and peaches makes it look gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love farmers markets too! And your Cake looks so good, I must get some quinoa flour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks excellent.
    I love farmer markets too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Minäkin rakastan Farmer's marketeja,jotka täällä ovat perjantaisin ja hallissa sitten joka päivä.Niistä saa aina parhaat tuotteet:-)
    Ihana gluteeniton kakkuresepti;olen joskus käyttänyt quinoaa leivonnaisissa,ja se maku tosiaankin tulee läpi,mutta itse pidän siitä.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upeita kuvia taas, voi kun pääsisi pian ulkomaille ja tuollaisille runsaille toreille maistelemaan kaikkea eksoottista. Quinoasta en tosiaan ole koskaan mitään tehnyt.. mutta sitä saa toki täältäkin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally agree about the markets...i love strolling around and checking out the seasonal produces too.

    great use of quinoa flour! i've recently started playing around with this flour and it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy Food..water is coming in my mouth.....Fresh flowers

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've used quinoa in cakes once (in a banana cake). Love the idea of using in a peach cake - I'm a sucker for stone fruit! Lovely, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderfully light and healthy cake! How terrific that you used quinoa! This makes me long for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey,
    awesome site, im currently on a paleo diet..
    So no grains, ive been cooking some cakes with hazelnut and almond flour. Thanks for the recipes.

    Have you tried baking cakes with coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such gorgeous market photos! I haven't tried baking with quinoa before but now I'm intrigued about the flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a healthy dessert!! Lovely flowers, I want some to cheer up my space!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice, I really look forward to trying. Recipe looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Maria,

    Just wanted to let you know that I really like you blog! Recepies and photos both look beautiful. I'm a Scandinavian in Australia myself (form Sweden, currently in Canberra but will be back living in my favourite city Sydney in a couple of weeks!), and I like giving friends down here a little tase of Swedish food sometimes. Will definitely have a look here for recepies next time!

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you again for all your comments, I'm so glad so many of you like farmers' markets as much as I do!

    I have indeed been experimenting with coconut flour and recipe is to follow later this week! ;-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cake. I have to experiment with more types of flour. I love going to the farmer's market too but it's so hard to get my hubs to go with me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks just like a cake my mother used to make, though I'm sure she's never even heard of quinoa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at those wonderful figs... OHHHH I miss Europe so much, and all the markets....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maria, love all types of markets and I get excited when I see photos of them. The peaches look so luscious! The cake is very pretty and 'country' - Quinoa... I am still not a big fan yet. Can I substitute with whole meal flour?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Squee! I love your blog! You have a similar baking ethos to me, in that I adore using interesting flours/nuts/ingredients to create something novel and (usually) suitable for the various allergies/intolerance in my family. I ADORE not-too-sweet desserts and quinoa, so am printing this out now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum!! Peach and quinoa in dessert sound awesome! It makes me hungry just looking at this cake. I like how this recipe is gluten-free and fat free too! Bookmarked:) Okay, time for some mid afternoon snack now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shirley: You could try using wholemeal flour, I think it would 'behave' the same way as quinoa flour :-)

    Thank you so much everyone, your comments have really made my day :-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooo check out the figs! And the peaches look so lovely, I'd eat it all before it makes it into any cake =D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I've never heard of quinoa flour. I'll be sure to get some soon. This sounds like a healthy cake. Just what I love!

    ReplyDelete
  30. MMMMMMMM,...what a delightful & tasty summer's cake!! I also love to go to Market's here in Brussels & elsewhere too!

    Georgous pictures!! Your cake looks aboslutely fab!

    ReplyDelete