February 17, 2011

Long melon and almond soup with lemon and mint


Now here's an ingredient I've never tried cooking with before: long melon (also known as fuzzy melon). I believe it is widely used in Asian cuisines, but when I picked one up at the markets I hadn't any idea what to do with it. A salad, perhaps? What I was really feeling like was a refreshing, healthy and good-doing soup, so I came up with this lemony and minty version which, quite frankly, was exactly what I was hoping for.


I used almond meal to give the soup a thicker and wholesome feel and it's perfect for the mild long melon. Lemon and fresh ginger add freshness and tanginess to this soup and fresh mint (lots of it) completes the dish. I recommend you have this chilled with lots of lemon and fresh mint. It is truly refreshing and purifying!


Long melon and almond soup with lemon and mint
(Serve 2-4)

1 long melon, about 500g, peeled and chopped into chunks
250ml water
2 tbsp almond meal
1 thick slice organic lemon + 2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
small knob fresh ginger, grated
small bunch fresh mint + more for pureeing 
pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the melon has softened. Let cool slightly then puree with some fresh mint. Leave to cool completely or chill in the fridge. Serve with fresh mint and extra lemon juice, if desired.

Recharge, Refresh, Renew

13 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful idea! I'll have to keep my eye out for a long melon. Is there another melon that could be subbed?
    I adore almond butter in soups, I'll have to try almond meal! I just used almond butter in a soup a few weeks ago (on my blog) and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that's such an original idea, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely soup! I'm not a big fan of melons, but I'm sure I'd love this dish. Cute cups.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fresh idea! I've honestly never heard of that kind of mellon. Love the tea cups!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great recipe for hot days. And tea cups are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not used fuzzy melon this way! Very creative. Do you think I can substitute almond meal with oat meal? ;p I know the taste might be different though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I'm pretty sure I've had long melon before....but to me, a lot of melons taste the same =S I love how you used it for a soup! I don't think I've ever had melons in soup like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks sooo good! I love how you use almond meal! I'm not too sure what long melons are though? Are they the same as winter melons that asians use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of long melon before but if it's as good as this soup looks then I know I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your comments!

    Tigerfish: Not sure, but why not give it a go! :-)

    Kayla: I believe they're also known as winter melons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to try long melon...I'll be on the lookout for it here! Lovely soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm that looks so good, and I think I am allowed to eat it!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete