February 15, 2011

Grilled Peaches and Haloumi Salad


There is something about the combination of fruit and cheese that I just can't resist. Think of figs and goat cheese, quince paste on a cheese platter, pear and blue cheese, cherries and feta... they all seem to compliment each other so perfectly. This simple grilled peaches and haloumi salad is celebrating summer and of what is officially left of it here in Sydney.

 

I go crazy for the stone fruit when they hit the markets, and love snacking on them as they are or occasionally making a salad like this one. Haloumi is a long time favourite of mine and I can't resist myself buying some every now and then. Lets celebrate the seasons!


Grilled Peaches and Haloumi Salad
(Serves 2)

2 peaches, cut in half and stones removed
1 tbsp olive oil
200g fat-reduced haloumi cheese, cut into slices
handful of rocket
few sprigs of lemon thyme
2 tbsp pomegranate balsamic
3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted

Heat a grill pan on high. Brush the peaches with a little olive oil and place cut side down on the grill. Leave on the grill for a few minutes, but be careful not to burn them! Grill the haloumi slices on both sides until just soft. Arrange the rocket on a platter, scatter with slices of the grilled peaches and haloumi. Sprinkle with lemon thyme and toasted pine nuts and finish off by a generous drizzle of pomegranate balsamic. Serve as a light meal.

Enjoy the flavours of the season!

25 comments:

  1. A fabulous summer salad! Haloumi is so delicious and versatile.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peach and halloumi, a great combo! This salad looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have not tried halloumi but this combination is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, what a lovely salad...love the idea of roasting peach and cheese...look so tasty and pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! I love Haloumi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I didn't even realise we were so close to the end of Summer =( Better make the most of it hey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy yummy,en löydä enempää sanoja;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria what a gorgeous salad! I just bought some peaches. Great idea to grill them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love every single one of the ingredients in this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had those fruit/cheese combinations, but I've never even thought of pairing fruit with haloumi! Looks so tasty, and your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fruity salads in summer are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These looks amazing, YUM. If i had some haloumi i would make it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria, this is absolutely beautiful! I have noticed that you love to incorporate cheese into your recipes. I am still not adventurous enough with cheeses. Will try to widen my experience with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so wonderful! You're lucky to have those fruits available to you right now. Our peaches would have the texture of an apple and taste like paper :(
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently fell in love with halloumi and definitely need to try it in this salad! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty photos! Loving your blog and so happy I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this recipe looks great...and so different! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh, makes me yearn for summer! In a couple months I'll try my hand at this dish. I wonder if I can find haloumi in Paris? I'm sure there's another substitute, after all France is the land of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know that haloumi goes so well with fruit & with grilled peaches no less!

    What a stunning & savoury summer's salad!!! MMMMM,...Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the flavors in this salad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My two favourite things together at last in one salad! Such a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Great photos and what a nice combination of grilled peaches and haloumi. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This salad is stunning - some of my all time favorite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
    I made the salad today and the combination of peaches and haloumi is just perfect! I used pomegranate vinegar for the first time and it added such a nice touch to the salad. I'm sure I'll be making this again and again :)

    ReplyDelete