February 10, 2011

Fig and Goat Cheese Tart


Hi there, how has your week been so far?

I wanted to make something little special for today, something that would make everything seem a bit brighter and the worries a bit smaller. This fig and goat cheese tart is perfect for that occasion and real indulgence food for me. I love the sweet figs, the soft goat cheese and the crispy crust. I love the caramelised balsamic together with lemon thyme sprinkled generously over it. And I love cutting a slice and savouring each mouthful.

I hope you are all well and enjoying each day!


Fig and Goat Cheese Tart

{Crust}

1 cup organic wholemeal spelt flour
1 cup organic white, unbleached spelt flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup cold water
pinch of salt

{Topping}
5 figs, cut into slices
120g goat cheese
2 tbsp caramelised balsamic
few sprigs of lemon thyme

To make the crust, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Roll the dough onto a sheet and place on top of a tart tin (33cm x 12cm). Press the dough into the tin and smooth the edges. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180C.


Blind bake the crust for about 20 minutes. Prepare the topping: cut the figs in half and then into slices. Once the crust is ready, remove from the oven and top with the fig slices. Brush the slices with the caramelised balsamic, top with some lemon thyme (saving some for serving) and crumble over the goat cheese. Bake for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.




Serve with extra caramelised balsamic and sprinkle generously with lemon thyme.

 Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. Really nice shots... figs seem to be some mythological fruit seen from the wintry north hemisphere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so in love with fig and for some reason am transported to the south of France every time I eat it. Hmmm I wonder why? Gorgeous tart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous combo, yummy! Lovely clicks...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! The whole thing: pictures, the recipe...really beautiful food!
    Cupcake
    www.thefamily-table.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fig and goat cheese is a perfect combo!!
    Love this tart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tart is lovely!! Beautifully done. What a wonderful combination of figs and goat cheese. Gorgeous photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Figs and goat's cheese everywhere, this looks like absolutely glorious picnic food, if only London could decide to give us a bit of spring now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm no fan of figs but this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful tart and a beautiful combo of flavors! I love figs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy figs with brie but have not tried the goat cheese combination. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic Maria! A great dish for a summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait till fresh figs are in season here to make this. A friend of mine just gave me a rectangular tart pan just like yours, too. This would be the perfect thing to christen it with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving all the fresh figs in the stores right now :) Never tried the fig/goat cheese combo, but can imagine how beautifully it would go together... Will have to give it a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that is a good-looking tart! You give me fig guilt, by the way. Every time I see figs on your page, I think to myself "I need to start using more figs." And then I forget, until I come back and see more figs, and then I feel guilty because I haven't used figs yet. It's a pretty vicious cycle, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely! I adore fresh figs and am in love w goat cheese! This recipe was ment for me! I usually just eat these by themselves but this tart looks so amazing I am making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, this is a real beauty. I need to get one of those beautiful long tart pans and make this for myself :)
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  17. I intend on being jealous of your abundance of figs indefinitely. This tart looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Onpas ihanan nätti torttu! En pidä lainkaan viikunoista,mutta vuohenjuuston kanssa ne kuitenkin sopivat sen verran hyvin,etten sanoisi niille ei.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maria, how lucky it is for you to have easy access to fresh figs! If I were to replicate this treat, I would need to use frozen figs....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! Yet another delicious combo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks divine, I have been eyeing off the figs lately, they just cost so much! My family has a farm with trees full of figs.... Might have to see if I can time a visit when they are ripe;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made this tonight and loved it. As did my mother and sister. It almost had a hint of the taste of cinnamon to it. Really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carmelized balsamic is mentioned here and I wondered if I could attain this by simply boiling down Balsamic Vinegar? Any replys will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,

      I haven't tried that, but you could always give it a go :-)

      Maria

      Delete