February 25, 2011

Bitter almond tarts with sugar plums and honey ricotta


I simply cannot start my day without a proper breakfast. Often I have seasonal fruit or berries with organic yoghurt sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with maple syrup or raw honey. I love my morning exercise but sometimes, when I have the time, it is nice to have long, unrushed breakfasts reading the morning paper.

 

I came across these gorgeous tiny sugar plums at my local green grocer the other day and started thinking of ways to use them in a recipe. They are lovely and sweet, so they don't need much help, but quickly softened with a little cinnamon and raw honey really lifted them to a whole new level.

The bitter almond and hazelnut tart is a great alternative for your regular piece of toast or croissant. They are wholesome and gluten-free and the notes of bitter almond is just perfect pared with the sweet plums. If you can't find bitter almond extract, however, you can substitute with almond extract.


 

Topped with guilt-free smooth honey ricotta this is a luxurious breakfast, perfect to celebrate the beginning of the weekend!


Bitter almond tarts with sugar plums and honey ricotta
(Serves 2)

Bitter almond tarts

1 cup almond meal
1 cup hazelnut meal
1 large free-range egg
75 ml unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp bitter almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cinnamon and honey sugar plums

10 sugar plums, cut in half and stones removed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp water

Honey ricotta

200g light smooth ricotta
1 tbsp raw honey

flaked almonds, toasted, to serve


For the bitter almond tarts, preheat oven to 170C. Combine the almond meal, hazelnut meal and baking soda in a bowl and stir well. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg with the apple sauce, then add bitter almond extract and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Pour the batter into a square tin (19cm) lined with baking paper. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tart feels firm to touch. Cool on a wire rack then cut into 4 squares.

Place the sugar plums in a small saucepan and add cinnamon and honey along with one tablespoon of water. Bring to boil and turn off the heat. Stir gently to cover the plums with the sauce then leave to cool completely.

Mix the honey and the ricotta and set aside.

To serve, scoop some sugar plums on the almond tart, top with honey ricotta and sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Have a lovely weekend!

25 comments:

  1. Those sugar plums look very delectable. And what a lovely and indulging way to start the day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love plums! They are my favorite stone fruits. That is a great breakfast item.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and wholesome for breakfast! Although I must admit I'm more used to having my fruit as is, rather than poached/stewed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Maria, these almond tarts look so wonderful, but I must say that I'm intrigued with how you made your sugar plums. Those look awesome! I can totally imagine how wonderful those sweet plums must be in combination with your tart and organic yogurt. Yummerz!
    p.s. Your photos are wicked awesome, Lady;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I have some plums stewed waiting to be eaten, this sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must get together for Breakfast some time, that or afternoon tea...I have this love affair with ricotta... that truly is an inspiring breakfast while I hold my head in shame eating a small cheeseburger..

    ReplyDelete
  7. ill be lucky to wake up and be ontime for work let alone have such an unrushed breakfast everyday :P

    the almond tart looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, these tarts look so wonderful---the sugar plums look glorious! I can taste that honey ricotta how! Beautifully done. Bon weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. honey replacing sugar in the ricotta is such a good idea it give the sweetness but much more healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaah! I just love everything you make; it fits in so much with my food tastes and sensibilities! Must must must finished my own baked goods so I can get onto yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, they look gorgeous! Shame I have to be on a bus at the crack of sparrows tomorrow otherwise I'd be seriously tempted to make them for breakfast! Thanks for another beautiful and inspiring post Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I pick one? or three :)
    Those tarts look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful dessert! Simple and easy to literally throw together! Perfect maria!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply gorgeous, Maria. The tarts sound divine and your photo's are beyond exceptional

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG that looks soooo good!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anything with plums puts me in a good mood - this is lovely, Maria! Can I come over for breakfast? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are so beautiful, and this desert is just stunning. How I wish i could reach into my screen and gobble up one of these beautiful tarts!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a creative combination! I love that the tart is grain-free. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never had such a combination! I love a proper breakfast anytime but I don't think I can make such a fabulous breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i bought 1kg of sugar plums yst too and was wondering what to do with it apart from eating it as it is! :) great idea with the cinnamon...i cant wait to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is definitely Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast food. Lazy, decadent, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The tart does sound like a better alternative to toast!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the type of breakfast that I would love to sit down and enjoy! It really is a lovely meal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my this sounds and looks deeevine! I'm not a fan of plums but I'm thinking a sweet berry compote would work nicely with the bitter almond tart instead....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I need my morning breakfast too. I like how this recipe is 'flourless'. Maybe it's time I start using almond meal and hazelnut meal again.

    ReplyDelete