February 28, 2011

Almond oats with baked Corella pears



Hello Monday, new week and last day of summer! How was your weekend?

I'm starting this week with a whole new page and I'm filling it up with ideas, thoughts and inspiration. On the weekend I dug out Mireille Guilliano's 'Women, Work and the Art of Savoir Faire' and started re-reading it. I think this book is a wonderful source of inspiration and a helpful work-life guide for all women. I personally took a major leap in my life last week when I decided to resign from my work. Now I am looking forward to the new challenges and projects that I will hopefully be able to share with you soon.


In the mean time, I am excited to share this recipe with you. It's a little twist to your ordinary oat meal, a bit more laborious, but definitely worth the effort! Making your own almond milk is much easier than you might think and gives the oats a perfectly creamy texture. 


Corella pears are crunchy and really perfect for baking as they will hold their shape and texture. Maple syrup and treacle guarantee a sticky, delicious coating which is lovely with the mellow oat meal. I think this is not a bad way to start a new week and a new life!

Almond oats with baked Corella pears
(Serves 2)

1/2 cup blanched almonds
2 cups water

1,5 cups oat groats
1/2 water
pinch of salt

3 Corella pears, cut in fours or eights
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp treacle
2 tsp ground cinnamon

maple syrup, extra, for serving

Soak the oats for at least one hour, then drain and place in a saucepan.

Preheat oven to 180C. 

Place the almonds and the water in a food processor and process for a couple of minutes. Drain the almond milk into a bowl through a sieve lined with a muslin and squeeze out all the liquid. You can use the left-over almond meal in baking or have it with your breakfast porridge. Pour the almond milk into the saucepan along with half a cup of water. Stir, bring to boil and leave to simmer for one hour or until almost all liquid has disappeared. Make sure to stir every now and then and keep an eye on it as it will boil over easily!

Place the pears in an oven proof dish, add maple syrup, treacle and cinnamon and stir well to combine. Place in the oven and bake for half an hour scooping the liquid on the pears and stirring every now and then.Once softened, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.

Once the porridge is done, take off the heat, add a pinch of salt and stir. Leave covered for 10 minutes. Serve the oats with the baked Corella pears and drizzle with the extra maple syrup.

Have a lovely new week!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, proud to hear you have finally taken the leap. Wishing nothing but all the best with all your future undertakings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rustic top photo.. and that rococo plate.. I have affinity for rococo design...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your leap and wishing you lots of luck! I've enjoyed Mireille's "French women" books and will have to check this one out too. And, I'm loving this oat and pear combination -- looks like a tasty and energizing way to start the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck for all your future plans, sounds exciting, new beginnings!
    The oats sound really lovely, i haven't really thought about making something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The oats sound amazing with those wonderful looking pears, yum! Good luck to you with all your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally infatuated with oats, and this recipe looks awesome. I totally believe you when you say that this recipe is worth the effort. Look at those pears! This certainly goes into my collection of oatmeal recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very healthy and so delicious! That first shot of the pears is magnificent.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pears look so good coated in the sauce! :D Love the drawer styling too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow This looks so delicious and nutritious! I love the first click of pears in the drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely dish... and congratulations, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love oatmeal! And I am always looking for new ways to have it...this looks divine. I am filing this away for a future breakfast :)

    Good luck on your future ventures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot wait for fall so I can bake and cook with pears - this is an amazing combo of flavors, Maria! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Maria, I just discovered your blog through foodgawker. It must be my lucky day. Your photos are gorgeous and this recipe sounds like a divine way to start the day. I'm looking forward to following your posts and hearing more about your exciting future. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos and what a delicious breakfast this would be! By the way, I also love the first sailboat photo in your other post. It just gives me an immediate sense of peace to see it :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful love the pear shot. Are you using natural or artificial light?
    x
    nicole

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photography. I especially like the first and last photos. I love cooking my oatmeal in almond milk, but still haven't gotten around to making my own. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am relatively new to your blog and don't comment often. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the food and recipes you feature here. I always enjoy my visits. This recipe sounds like a wonderful way to start the day. It looks beautiful and sounds delicious. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photographes are truly amazing...really amazing. Your from Finland...I'm from Holland :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy yummy yummy! Ihanan houkuttelevat kuvat jälleen;D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ai niin ja onnea kaiken uuden kanssa,mitä se sitten lieneekään.Vanhat ovat sulkeutuvat ja uudet avautuvat,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats!! These oats look delicious by the way, theyre making me hungry haha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maria, I never had Corella pears, this dessert looks delicious, love the idea of oat and almonds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! This is just beautiful! I LOVE the first shot of the pears, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the new projects in your life!!

    This dish looks amazing & home made almond milk must taste better!! The pears look amazing & ooh so tasty too! A perfect combo of real flavours in this tasty breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just made another Nordic oaty brunch dish, a cake where some flour is replaced by oats, topped by mixed berries. But for me it still counts as brekkie - oats just make everything healthy don't they, notwithstanding the treacle, maple syrup, sugar... ahem. And those pears look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete