January 28, 2011

Vanilla and Lavender Muffins with Honey Yoghurt Icing (Gluten-Free)



It's Friday and my home smells like muffins. Can you think of any better way to start the weekend?
I love how delicious and guilt-free these vanilla and lavender muffins turned out. I didn't use any oil or butter, and thanks to almond meal they are gluten-free, too! Lavender is such a gorgeous addition to these muffins, and it gives them a certain kind of luxurious feel.

I hope you'll have a lovely and relaxing weekend!



Vanilla and Lavender Muffins with Honey Yoghurt Icing
(Makes 9-10)

2 cups almond meal
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp lavender flowers (edible variety)
3 large free-range eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 tbsp raw, unprocessed honey

{Honey Yoghurt Icing}

250g fat free plain yoghurt
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 tbsp raw, unprocessed honey

lavender flowers, extra, to serve

Start 1-2 hours before by placing the yoghurt in a sieve lined with muslin. Place the sieve on top of a bowl and refrigerate.

Preheat the oven to 170C. In a bowl, mix together the almond meal, baking powder and lavender. In another bowl lightly whisk the eggs, and mix in the apple sauce, vanilla and honey. Pour the egg mixture into the almond mixture and stir until smooth. Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool.

Take the yoghurt out of the fridge and discard the whey. Place the yoghurt in a bowl and add in vanilla and honey. Mix until smooth. Top the cooled muffins with yoghurt icing and sprinkle with extra lavender flowers to serve.

Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. Oh they look so yummy, I like your recipes. We have french lavender in the garden, can I use that? It hasn't been sprayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looking!

    Happy Friday!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute muffins, love the yogurt and honey icing. A recipe for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so pretty and the icing with the lavender just lifts them into the really special. I've bookmarked this one - I love a good low fat muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost smell the muffins, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are precious! I love the idea of a yogurt icing - much healthier!
    Beautiful photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There IS no better way to start the weekend! Love the yogurt icing recipe. I could just spoon that up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit that lavender scares me as a flavour. To me it's more a handcream or potpourri! I had a lavender cupcake one time at Sparkles in Surry Hills and I almost threw up cos it was so strong hehehee. Of course I think you'd use just the right amount, but I'd just be too scared to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love lavenders, and that yogurt icing looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lavender & honey sounds like a beautiful combination. Loving how they look so decadent & indulgent even without the butter or oil, and yoghurt for the icing! Great recipe & will have to give this one a go. Wet and windy here in Auckland so kitchen here I come, you have a good weekend too. M

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe these don't have any butter in them. These are rare muffins and they looks so pretty with the lavender flowers on top.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  12. These muffins look quite delightful and guilt-free to boot - I'll have to try some! Isn't yoghurt just the best thing ever? G

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honey yogurt icing just sounds like a good idea all around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your comments!

    Catty: The lavender in these is really mild, you would be surprised! :-)

    Vintage Macaroon: I'm not sure, you'll have to check. I bought mine from an organic store in a bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have some friends who are gluten-free and I am always looking for delicious desserts to serve to them! These look so delicately decadent! Perfect for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such pretty flavours, and I like how they're healthy muffins too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks really good!
    follow us!

    http://kimchicsisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm from Provence, in France, homeland of the lavender :))
    Your recipe is so yummy and your pictures are so "Nordic zen" ! I love them !
    Françoise

    ReplyDelete
  19. You make lavender muffins? I make lavender biscuits and lavender madeleines... j'adore la lavande! And I like your blog!
    Ciao!

    Sabrine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I will have to try making these! They look too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey girl! These are gorgeous! Linking to them today in my gf muffin post :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum... These look pretty great. I bet a little lemon zest would go nicely here as well ^_^

    ReplyDelete