January 30, 2011

Plum,Chocolate and Pistachio Bake


A big sigh of relief!  This Sunday I woke up and something felt different. It wasn't as uncomfortably hot as it has been for the past couple of weeks and I could only think of one thing: baking! I had bought a big bag of plums the previous day and paring them with chocolate was the obvious choice.

This is another guilt-free treat: again I've used no butter and no sugar, only fat free yoghurt and raw honey. I've used really dark chocolate which gives it richness without too much sweetness, and I've added raw cacao nibs and pistachio for texture. Plums give it natural sweetness which is just perfect for a lazy Sunday morning treat.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend!


Plum, Chocolate and Pistachio Bake

1/3 cup white, unprocessed spelt flour (or plain wheat flour)
1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder
3 large free range eggs
1tsp natural vanilla extract
1 cup fat free plain yoghurt
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp raw cacao nibs
25g pistachios
60g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 small plums, halved and stoned

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a small (20cm x 20cm) square tin with baking paper. In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs with vanilla, and add the yoghurt and honey. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the flour and cacao powder, and then mix in the cacao nibs, pistachios and the chocolate. Pour the batter into the tin and smooth the top. Place the plums on the batter, cut side up. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean (this is a moist cake!). Serve dusted with icing sugar.

29 comments:

  1. truly beautiful images of what i imagine to be a delicious breakfast. sunday mornings at your house rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lovely creations never failed to amazed me. Another cake that I adore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks amazing, there's nothing better than cake for breakfast without the guilt. Unfortunately I live in the northern hemisphere and the plum tree in my garden is decidedly bare! It will be mid-August before I can make this cake, but I've bookmarked in READ ME IN AUGUST!! Hehe. I might try something similar with rhubarb as it's just coming into season. Is that cinnamon on the yogurt? I'm sure it would taste great with the plums and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that looks amazing and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am loving your guilt free desserts,keep 'em coming PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds absolutely delicious! I love that it's made with all natural ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely combination, and beautifully presented too. I love that cute little tray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful use for plums! I can't wait until plums are in season here, I'd love to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful refined cake, one that I would enjoy making once I locate this type of flour and the fruits are back in season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic creative dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous treat! And I love that it's guilt free too, makes me feel like it would fit perfectly in any diet regime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He best par if thus is at it doesn't look healthy if you know what I mean. It looks indulgently delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I am on my iPad and I just read back my comment. I should really stop and spellchceck what I write! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to find your blog! These look wonderful amazingly delicious. Wonderful post and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maria,I notice you rise very early in the morning! (5am???) This looks delicious and guilt free too? I am bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was nice to have a break from the heat on Sunday! Such an inspiring recipe - I haven't ever paired plums and chocolate before so I'll have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hiya, what do you do with the chocolate specified in the recipe? Other than just nibbling it of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zo: Good one! Chocolate goes in too! (if there's any left) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful! I wouldn't mind eating this even on Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is healthy? Come on Maria it can't be true =p Looks gorgeous! So... I guess I could have double servings if it's guilt free? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to be served this on a lazy Sunday! Beautiful photography (again).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Finally made this cake yesterday. Did you melt the 60g of dark chocolate or just chop it up? I couldn't see in your recipe. I was being lazy and didn't want to get out my steamer on a hot day so just chopped mine!

    I loved the use of yoghurt instead of butter and sugar in the cake, but the end result was a little bit sour for me (even though you get a nice sweetness from the fruit). If I make this again I think I'll add more honey, buy a sweeter yoghurt or add of extra sugar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate it :-)

    Richard: Thanks for pointing that out, I've added 'coarsely chopped' (for the chocolate) into the recipe!

    You are right, it's not a sweet cake (as most of my cakes aren't). You could add a sweetener of your choice or use a lighter chocolate to take away the bitterness. It depends a bit what kind of yoghurt you use as well. :-) I really appreciate your feedback, Richard! Thank you!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this right away. I used very ripe plums, mainly greek yogurt and some light sour cream (equaling a cup). I was concerned when I tasted the batter (very bitter), so I added a teaspoon more honey. I dusted heavily with powdered sugar. It came out great. The plum juice soaked into it nicely. I'd never had plum and chocolate together before, this was yummy. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  25. my plum tree gave me an abundant harvest this season. I am definitely going to make these for a nice treat to my husband and son! thank you for sharing such simple recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. i made these today and they did come out sour and bitter also :(. I will have to put additional sugar or honey and less dark chocolate for next time. Thank you again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete