January 11, 2011

Nectarine with Dango and Yuzu Marmalade

It's been hot and humid here in Sydney, and I haven't really felt like turning on the oven or even spending too much time in the kitchen standing next to the stove. I have, however, been enjoying the fresh summer fruits for quick snacks or desserts, and today I felt like having a little something extra with my dessert.

I've made dango, these quick and easy Japanese dumplings before, and they really make a nice addition to your fruit plate. This time I rolled the dango in kinako, roasted soybean flour, which is packed with protein and vitamins. Yuzu marmalade I bought in Japan brings a nice tang to the dish, but you could easily substitute this with any other citrus jam or marmalade, even just some lemon juice if you like. I think persimmon would be a really lovely alternative for nectarines in this dessert, even peaches or pears, depending on what is in season for you.

Nectarine with Dango and Yuzu Marmalade
(serves 2-4)

1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
40ml cold water

2 nectarines

1 tbsp kinako
2 tsp yuzu marmalade

Place the glutinous rice flour in a bowl, add water and mix until smooth. Divide the dough into equal sized portions and roll into balls measuring about 1 cm. In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil and drop the dango in to the water in batches. Dango is ready when it raises to the top. Remove the dango with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Sprinkle with kinako and roll the coat evenly. Arrange the dango in wooden skewers.

Cut the nectarines in half, remove the stone and slice the halved thinly. Arrange on a plate, top with a teaspoon of yuzu marmalade and the dango skewers.

Enjoy!


Print

13 comments:

  1. Hi! Came across your blog, and I love it!

    The dango is really quite intriguing - I'll have to give it a go. And the yuzu marmalade is something I'll definitely have to try.

    Great post!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh YUM! what a great combo! love dangos but never had them with yuzu and fruit...def very summer-y :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really great, and you're so creative with your flavours! Doesn't have to be a summer dessert, I would have it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dango! I just like to say dango! The fact that it looks really good helps, too ... Dango!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw that you are making dango, I couldn't help it but smile...someone is still in the Japanese state of mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dessert! Great use for nectarines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so deliciously tasty! What a healthy dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummie, I love everything that contains glutinous rice flour...so pretty and nicely presented :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so creative and delicious. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty dish! I wish I could say we were having warm weather here in Seattle. :)

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting combination of flavours. Oh, and now I have a craving for dango!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dango and these are just lovely. I have to tell you that I actually had a cat named Dango once. It just suited him.

    ReplyDelete