January 21, 2011

Cranberry Frozen Yogurt with Crisp Rye and Cocoa Granola


Happy Friday!

Don't you just love Friday afternoons? You leave work feeling like there is no rush, just a slow stroll home, perhaps doing a little shopping on the way. Today on my way from work I stopped at my favourite organic store, picked up some fresh vegetables and fruit and a bunch of weekend flowers! This is my way of spoiling myself, I love having fresh flowers at home, it just makes the weekend seem a bit more special.

This cranberry frozen yogurt with crisp rye and cocoa granola is a another perfect way to enjoy the weekend. It's easy to prepare and so light yet deliciously creamy! Enjoy and have a lovely weekend!


 Cranberry Frozen Yogurt with Crisp Rye and Cocoa Granola
(Serves 2)

500g low fat plain yogurt
50g frozen cranberries
1 tbsp natural vanilla extract


1 cup rolled rye
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tbsp manuka honey blend
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 tbsp raw cocoa nibs

Start by placing the yogurt in a drainer lined with a cheesecloth. Leave to drain for at least one hour, then discard the whey (or keep for later use). Place the cranberries in a food processor and process until chopped (not too finely). Add vanilla and cranberries into the yogurt, mix well and spoon into a container. Smooth the top and place in the freezer for an hour or two mixing every now and then.

In the meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150C and line a cookie tray with a baking paper. Place the rolled rye, apple sauce, honey, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Spoon the mixture onto the cookie tray and spoon to an even layer of about 1/2 cm thick. Sprinkle with the cocoa nibs. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, then leave to cool on a wired rack.

Spoon the cranberry frozen yogurt in small bowls and serve with the crisp rye and cocoa granola.





16 comments:

  1. gorgeous photos and delicious idea. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Maria, that looks positively yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frozen yogurt sounds easier than I thought, will definitely be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos Maria, especially the first one. And that tea set and spoons are just stunning! Are they Finnish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful presentation!The choice of serving dish is perfect completely making this picture perfect ! This also is such a great healthy way to eat with such fresh ingredients. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have outdone yourself with this recipe. I love the mix of flavors. And the granola! Manuka honey and applesauce. I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frozen Blueberry-Tofu Sorbet also makes a very good dessert choice, try it out at http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes/desserts-a-goodies-/frozen-blueberry-tofu-sorbet

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just stunning. Can I have that tea set?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there.. I just adore your tea cups, and crisp rye... you know I would love that, and I really like your blooms as well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the sort of cereal-y thing I love! Yum! Yes, I love that about Fridays...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color and texture (creamy, crunchy) of this bowl of granola and frozen yogurt sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cranberry frozen yogurt sounds so refreshing and I can imagine the crunch the granola would have added to the whole thing... yum! =) This can't be healthy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an inspired recipe Maria - great combination of flavours, textures and temperatures. Beautiful photography too. Fri nights are pretty good but Sat morning is even better in my world - my partner gets up early with my little one and takes her swimming and to the market so I can sleep in! They brought me home a bunch of sunflowers yesterday which rounded off my relaxed morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The frozen yogurt and the granola both look wonderful! Also, I love the pretty tea and saucer set you served it in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maria, I love everything in the dish.. especially that you don't need an ice cream maker for the frozen yogurt. :) I routinely have yogurt, fruit and granola as a parfait, but frozen yogurt takes it to the next level. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete