January 09, 2011

Chocolate & Yuzu Brownies


One of my favourite flavours in Japan was yuzu, deliciously sour citrus fruit. I had it fresh, drank it as juice, I bought yuzu marmalade, yuzu cake, even a yuzu macaron, and I also bought some yuzu peel to bring back home with me. I wanted to use this peel in baking, and thought chocolate would marry well with the tangy citrus. I added some coffee and cocoa nibs for extra flavour and texture, and replaced butter with mashed banana! These brownies are a perfect guilt-free treat to be enjoyed even so soon after the silly season ;-)


Chocolate & Yuzu Brownies
(Makes about 12)

100g brown sugar
125 g dark chocolate (70%)
125g banana, mashed
2 tbsp strong coffee
3 large free-range eggs
2 tbsp cocoa nibs
1 tbsp yuzu peel (substitute with sweet orange peel)
50g plain or white spelt flour
35g unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 17cm x 25cm brownie tin.

Place the sugar and the chocolate in a bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir well to combine until the chocolate has melted. Mix in the banana and the coffee. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the eggs one by one.

Place the cocoa nibs and the yuzu peel in a bowl of a food processor and process until fine. Add the mixture into the dough and stir to combine.

Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder and fold all in. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until it feels firm to touch. Serve with icing sugar and extra yuzu peel.


Enjoy!


Print

15 comments:

  1. That dark chocolate colour is gorgeous. And I like yuzu too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These brownies look absolutely delicious and all the better for being no fat, I love the combo of citrus and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you for the yuzu peel making it through Customs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmhhh, what a delightful flavor combo!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Maria,
    I didn't know Yuzu before, thanks for sharing. :)
    I love the beautiful cake server, where do you have it from?

    Nice greetings,
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks delicious! wonderful picture, very mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuzu is amazing isn't it? It's a shame we can't get it fresh in Sydney. This is such a great recipe - no butter? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments!

    Martina: The cake server belongs to my partner's parents, and it's a very old silver server from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever tasted yuzu.

    You are very creative to replace butter with banana, I wouldn't have guessed that one would work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That deep dark chocolate color looks divine! I have never had yuzu though I see many a chef using it on TV nowadays. I should seek some out. Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm crazy for yuzu too! I remember tasting a quzu custard in Japan and swooning :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never herd of yuzu before - sounds intriguing. The cake has a lovely colour (and beautiful shots). without the butter was the cake texture less moist?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chocolate and yuzu must have complemented each other really well

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah,

    Actually no, the brownies were still moist and I really loved the texture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! What an awesome combo. I had yuzu juice on a flight from Tokyo to Sapporo. It was delish. Where did you get the yuzu?

    ReplyDelete