January 07, 2011

Cherry Salad with Feta and Macadamias


We are back in Sydney from our holidays. It took us almost 30 hours door to door, and once again my body is struggling to cope with the jet lag and the climate change. This also happened to be the first time I was suffering from bad motion sickness during all our flights (sorry if too much information), and it really made travelling much worse. It will take me days to get back to normal, but I am trying to take it easy, eat well and get plenty of rest.

It is summer here in Sydney and although it has been a wet start for the season, we are still enjoying warm weather and occasional sunshine. After coming home I was not rushing to get back in the kitchen, seeing I wasn't feeling well, but I did manage to put together a salad which was probably exactly what I needed.

You might think combining cherry with feta cheese is a strange idea, but it actually works well in this salad and the flavours seem to marry well together. The salty creamy feta is delicious with sweet cherries, and the sherry vinegar gives the salad a nice tang. Add macadamias and dried cranberries for some texture and you'll have a tasty little salad!

Cherry Salad with Feta and Macadamias

handful of fresh cherries, pitted and halved
handful of rocket
2-3 tbsp macadamia nuts, cut into halves or quarters
2 tbsp dried cranberries
50g feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sherry vinegar

Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil and vinegar and stir to combine. Coat the salad with the dressing and serve.

Print

8 comments:

  1. The salad look so refreshing and colorful. Quite easy to make. Love the cherries in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back! yum i heart cherries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful,,,and beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hipe that you are feeling a bit better now...

    That salad looks delightful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you are feeling better! On the bright side, this salad looks wonderful! I love combining savory and sweet in salads and this combination sounds like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherries are not in season over here now. You sure make me look forward to summer again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, what a lovely salad. I love feta. And the macadamia nuts sound like such a delicious twist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cool that we both came up with cherry & feta salads at the same time! :) http://twitpic.com/3ilme4
    i like your style lady. great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete