January 23, 2011

Blackberry Pancake Tart


It has been another DIY filled weekend for me. After I had finished painting the dining chairs last weekend, I now moved on to painting a chest of drawers, sewing (the pillow cases you see in the photos) and rearranging our home. When I was standing there with a paint brush on one hand, and a can of paint in the other, I realised how easy it was to get a little carried away. I found myself thinking "what else could I paint?" and looking around for any other white objects (or any colour, for that matter) that could possibly need a new layer of paint. 

At that moment it dawned to me I should step away from the paint brush and perhaps carry my energy somewhere else, and where else but the kitchen, of course. This blackberry pancake tart is a perfect way to start a Sunday morning and so simple to make. It's a typical Finnish pancake topped with fresh blackberries that are real bursts of flavour and perfect for this dish. You could, of course, replace them with any other berries you happen to have at hand. 

Hope you'll have a lovely Sunday!



Blackberry Pancake Tart
(Recipe adapted from Yhteishyva)

3 large free-range eggs
3 tbsp brown sugar
300ml milk
65g white, unprocessed spelt flour
250g fresh blackberries
1 tbsp brown sugar, extra

In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the sugar. Add milk and flour and whisk until smooth. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Heat the oven to 200C. Pour the batter into a pie dish and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven, top with berries and sprinkle the extra sugar on top. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.


18 comments:

  1. Delicious! I love your pillow cases.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. goodness, gracious you have a lovely blog - just found you through Twitter and happy to have done so! beautiful photos and gorgeous food - i'll be back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you get your blackberries from? sydney berry prices are outrageous compared to scandinavia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so industrious Maria! Gorgeous pillow cases - you're place must look so summery and bright. Love the idea of the pancake tart. I think I'll try this one next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to get a sense of the texture of the tart base by looking at the ingredients. It really is as soft as a pancake by the look of it. I love how you were looking around the apartment for anything else you could paint

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I bought blackberries the other day, but didn't make anything fancy with them. Your pancake-tart looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've just booked marked this for when i get spelt flour :)
    the pics with the pillow and chair look like they belong in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the plump luscious blackberries on the tart and especially when you are generous with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you really have been busy this weekend! This tart is a work of art. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely; those blackberries are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so good!

    http://kimchicsisters.blogspot.com/2011/01/crepes.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is rare that I see baked goodies here :) so I am going to savour it. I had the same kind of momentum before Christmas when I started cleaning out my apartmen... it was unstoppable. It started out when I was clearing space for my new shopping from New York then it got bigger and bigger... but at the end of it,I thoroughly enjoyed my 'new' clean apartment :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for your sweet comments!

    Anna: The blackberries were on special offer ;-)

    Vivienne: You can replace spelt with normal (wheat) flour if you like

    Shirley: I normally bake at least once a week, but lately it's been too hot! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maria

    Found you on twitter and love your "about me" story. I can relate to the paint brush and wanting to continue splashing colour everywhere! Loved the blackberry pancake tart. I''l be back for more recipes and your fun personality!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm a pancake tart hey? I'm intrigued!
    And your pillow cases are wayyy too funky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look so good that I might feel bad actually eating them! Okay, that whole 'feel bad eating them' thing was a lie. I'd have no problem eating them. But they do indeed look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maria, the blackberries pancake tarts look beautiful...I would love to wake up with these yummie tarts for breakfast :-) Great photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job with the pancake and the sewing and chairs Maria! You've been so busy! :)

    ReplyDelete