December 27, 2010

Whipped Lingonberry Porridge

Remember the whipped berry rye porridge I made a few months ago? This lingonberry version is similar to that one, but much more traditional and one of my all time favourites in the Finnish cuisine. If you don't have lingonberries, you could use cranberries instead, I think that could work just as well. You can also make this porridge using berry juice or actual berries.

Lingonberries grow in abundance here in Finland, and my parents pick them every autumn by the bucketfuls. This is delicious eaten slightly warm with cold milk or cold the next day. In my family we often have it as a light meal, but you could try serving smaller portions as a dessert if you wish.


Whipped Lingonberry Porridge

700ml water
300ml lingonberry juice
sugar (to taste)
100g (dark) semolina

Bring the water and juice to boil. Add the semolina whisking continuously. Let simmer for about 10 minutes stirring every now and then. Let cool and whisk, using electric beaters, until light and fluffy. Serve with milk.

Print

13 comments:

  1. Never heard and seen these berries before. Wish I could get my hands on them and make this gorgeous porridge. Lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great dish! Lingon berries is so nice:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMM,..amazing pictures & this recipe sounds so bizar & tasty at the same time!

    Looks so festive too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely lovely! I've never had lingonberries but I think I need to make a trip to Ikea to pick some up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading the Castle in Pyrenees by Jostein Gaarder and one of the characters is referred as 'lingonberry woman'... I've been wondering what this berry taste like. Do they have this in Sydney?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a healthy and flavorful porridge! That combo is surely addictive.

    Happy New Year!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is possibly the prettiest porridge I've ever seen! Such a gorgeous shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maria - I only recently started catching up on my blog reading and came across your posts on Finland, Japan and Christmas! I enjoyed reading them all... I didn't realize you were/are in Finland. Duh - I was wondering "where did she get Lingonberries?" then I started reading through your posts! Beautiful pictures, how lucky you are to have a white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just too beautiful and knowing your up there in the land of Finns, it's beyond appropriate. I wish I was there as well! We are SO catching up when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey lovely! I haven't checked in in a few days and really loved your last couple of Finland posts. Great to see you can just go pick lingonberries! We have to hunt high and low here to get a jar of lingonberry jam hehe.. hope you have a wonderful new years in Finland xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, if I can find Lingonberries in Dallas, I'm going to make this. It looks like a fantastic breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments!

    Unfortunately lingonberries are only available as a jam in Sydney! The jam doesn't really do justice to the berry as it contains too much sugar which covers the naturally sour taste of these delicious berries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I love Lingonberries. Thank god for ikea!

    If not a blatent attempt at promotion, please check out my porridge adventures here...

    http://thescoffingcow.blogspot.com/

    I need new guinea pigs... and I think my hubby misses his cornflakes!

    x

    ReplyDelete