December 03, 2010

Lemon Semolina Pudding



Before I moved to Australia I used to consider myself superbly organised, always on time kind of a girl. Don't get me wrong, I still am, but there is no doubt my "leave-everything-to-the-last-minute"- kind of a boyfriend has influenced me in some ways. When I first moved here I kept hearing this saying "Lets play it by the ear" all over and over again and I always thought to myself "But I'm not a let's play it by the ear kind of a girl!". I'll give you an example. We are leaving for our trip tomorrow (that is approximately in 24 hours) and we still haven't packed nor do have all our nights booked in Japan!

I think I would start panicking just about now if it wasn't for this lemon semolina pudding that seemed to whisk all the stress and worries away. Literally. I whisked and whisked so hard I had no strength left to panic. So it's done it's task and I can just "keep calm and carry on", as they say ;-)


Lemon Semolina Pudding

250 ml low-fat milk
250ml water
45g semolina

1tsp natural vanilla extract
(tiny pinch of cardamom)
zest of one lemon
1/2 lemon, juiced

Combine the milk and the water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add the semolina whisking continuously. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes stirring every now and then. Take the pan off the heat and add vanilla, cardamom, lemon zest and juice. Stir to combine. Let cool down and once cooled, using electric beaters, whisk for 5-7 minutes or until the consistency is smooth and almost silky. Garnish with extra lemon zest and serve room temperature or cold as a dessert.

Keep Calm and Carry On!

Print

21 comments:

  1. Wow! Never thought of making a pudding with Semoilna, we do make many desserts with semolina, but this sounds real exciting and delicious. Shall make it and post it with due credits to you :) Thanks for sharing,Maria. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pudding must taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely as per usual. All the best with your travels and have a wonderful time. I am loving your blog. It is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious and sounds healthy too!

    FFXIV Account

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooking and baking always makes me feel less stressed about the things I should be stressed about. This would whisk away all my apprehensions. Delicious!

    Have fun on your trip! Will miss you while you're gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious and fresh! Have fun in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love how calming being in the kitchen is sometimes. The lemon pudding looks so light and clean. Have an amazing time in Japan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel anxious for you not having all your accommodation booked! My mother used to make semolina pudding when we were young. Not with lemon though, we just had sugar & cocoa powder. Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the addition of lemon and cardamom into the pudding! SO soothing and refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. light and creamy looking pudding - yum. No sugar or sweetener at all though - is it a sweet pudding or would you serve it with something sweet or does the vanilla and milk make it sweet enough?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Maria, you're too funny. I'm a 'play it by ear' type, and my Cauldron Boy is a very organized and somewhat obsessive person about all things organizational (smile). So I think he gets stressed out the same way you're describing here. I do try to let him be himself in the midst of living with me...I hope I do!
    Either way, this pudding sounds absolutely delicious. Yummerz!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe its interesting how people influence each other over time! this is what i used to have when i was little...minus the lemon...yum! must be semolina next time i see them! bon voyage and hp the accommodation works out! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dessert looks slendid!! Apart too!


    mmmmmmmmmmmm,;;;!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must be in Japan now!! HOW EXCITINGGGGG!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh. You guys sound like me and my bf! He loves to "wing it" and hates being locked down when traveling. I like things sorted, planned, safe & secure. Sigh.

    When my meyer lemon tree starts fruiting this summer, I am definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Semolina in dessert! This looks so lovely and I can't wait to try it. I hope you've having fun on your trip, Maria. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds (and looks) superb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Maria, I made this for my Finnish hubby this afternoon - as we now live in Germany, Semolina (or "GrieS" as it is here known) is readily available also - but without whisking it with electric beaters in the end. It was just the right consistency and as he remembered it as a child. I had this in school in the UK when I was a teenager too, and is just great for cold evenings! It is great both warm with some lingonberry jam, or cold with honey drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tried this today, with much success even without the last stage of whipping with electric beater. My Finn hubby says it is exactly as he remembered it in his childhood ! and for me, it brought back memories of Semolina pudding in England during the winter. Thanks Maria ! Keep posting and I'll keep trying your recipes! Long Live Scandi Foodie !

    ReplyDelete