November 06, 2010

Tea Poached Salmon with Fragrant Brown Rice


Being so far away from home makes everything that reminds me of home mean a lot more to me than they would if I lived in Finland. Seeing a product that has Finnish writing, for example, makes me feel a bit nostalgic and hearing news from my home country in Australian tv makes me really see the news differently. Same goes with Finnish or Scandinavian companies in Australia. I don't know how many times I've told people that Nokia is not only a famous mobile phone brand, but also a town in Finland or that KONE, the big Finnish elevator and escalator company, is actually a Finnish word for machine.

Baring this in mind you can imagine how excited I was to learn about a company called Swedelicious. The lovely Helene and Richard are blending the most fragrant teas giving them the most catching names like 'Freya's Passion' which is part of their Viking range. Us Nordic people like to stick together, so when they offered to send me some of their teas for sampling, I was more than keen to try them out.

I received three different teas from their new Christmas collection; teas which are cutely named after Swedish Christmas characters, Santa's (which happens to be from Finland but recruites helpers from Sweden, too) helpers Nisse, Lusse and Rudolf. These are incredibly fragrant teas, blends of different spices and fruit, and just perfect for Christmas. I really wanted to try how the teas would work in cooking, so I decided to make tea poached salmon. I chose to use Nisse, a blend of cardamom, orange, pink peppercorn, cloves and cinnamon. The result was fragrant and flavoursome, reminding me of Finnish Christmas to come :-)


Tea Poached Salmon with Fragrant Brown Rice

2 tsp Swedelicious Nisse tea
5 cardamom pods
1 tsp pink peppercorns
300g salmon fillet

Fragrant Brown Rice
(Recipe adapted from Ross Dobson's Wholefood Kitchen)

1,5 cups long-grain brown rice
small handful sultanas
1 tsp ground cinnamon
tiny pinch of ground clove

1/4 lemon, juiced
2 shallot greens, chopped
Himalayan Pink Rock Salt
freshly ground black pepper
pistachios, toasted, to serve

To poach the salmon, fill a medium saucepan with water, add the tea and the spices and bring to boil. Let simmer for about 7 minutes, then drain it restoring the liquid in a bowl. Return the liquid in the saucepan, add the salmon fillet and bring to boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the salmon is just cooked through (pinkish inside is good). Take out the fillet and leave to cool. Fork the fillet into bite sized pieces.

Place the rice in a saucepan along with the sultanas, cinnamon and clove. Cover with water and bring to boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender, drain out extra liquid if necessary, but leave the rice quite moist. Place the rice in a large bowl and let cool slightly. Add the shallots, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the salmon and sprinkle with pistachios.

Enjoy!


Print

12 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. I'm doing salmon tonight for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teas all sounded fabulous, Maria. I bet the Salmon tasted fabulous. Can you smoke the salmon with the tea as well? Would be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to try at home without the Nisse but.. sounds (and LOOKS!) absolutely delicious! :) I've never used tea in cooking but have been curious for some time now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, I feel similarly when something reminds me of my time in Boston. Oh nostalgia. This salmon looks fantastic! I love the idea of poaching it in tea. What a nice flavor it must impart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently cooked salmon infused with tea too! It was so refreshing and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a lovely sounding (and looking) dish.In answer to Shirley above, John @ He Needs Food did a post on smoking salmon with tea a while ago - http://heneedsfood.com/2010/07/green-tea-osmanthus-smoked-salmon/

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the way you prepare the salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made tea-poached salmon once, though it didn't turn out nearly this nice. Tasted great, looked sad. I'll have to re-try it with your recipe... definitely to be paired with that delicious fragrant nut and raisin-studded rice!

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salmon looks delicious, and, is it weird to say that it looks "beautiful"? Your presentation is wonderful. It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely way to cook salmon! I really love the cardamom in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That tea poached salmon really does sound sooooo good! Never really thought to poach it in tea! I'm always boring and grill or pan fry my salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never really considered poaching salmon before but that fish! That fish looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete