November 12, 2010

Rye and Salmon Salad with Capers and Lemon


For us Finns rye is our staple grain. We are brought up eating rye bread with a rye flour content of around 70-80% (compared to some bread sold as "rye" bread in Australia might have around 20% rye flour, rest is wheat). When I was small white (wheat) bread was something my mum didn't even consider as 'real' bread and would very rarely buy it. At school all kids from primary school through to high school get a free warm meal every day and rye bread is always part of this meal.

I was so excited to find rye grain at my local health food store. I really recommend you give it a go if you happen to find it, and use it in warm salads where you'd normally use rice. It's so earthy and wholesome! In this warm salad, I've combined the rye with some lovely fatty salmon and a tangy, vinegary dressing.


Rye and Salmon Salad with Capers and Lemon

350g salmon fillet
Himalayan pink rock salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp French capers
1/2 lemon, finely sliced

1,5 cups organic rye grain
2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp lemon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 lemon, juiced
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the salmon fillet in an oven dish and season with salt and pepper. Add the capers on top of the fillet and arrange the lemon slices on top of the capers. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until it's just cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.

In the mean time, cook the rye in plenty of boiling water for about 20-30 minutes or until tender (there will still be a bite to it). Drain and place in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, lemon olive oil and dry mustard. Pour on the warm rye and stir through. Season with some black pepper and extra lemon juice. Break the salmon into bite size pieces and fold them together with the capers through the rye. Serve warm.

Print

10 comments:

  1. Maria, I am going to set a new resolution for 2011- for 2 times a week, I should really eat healthily like this. Shouldn't be difficult as there are so many options here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat rye much at all, so those is very new to me.one day I'll get onto something healthy like rye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this dish is perfect for a day like today!! light and flavoursome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have only started to eat capers after my trip to France and found I love them now. It also happens that Salmon is the only type of fish my husband will eat willingly lol. I have never tried rye so this should be interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really healthy and tasty! Finns rye is new to me, I grew up on rice. This sounds much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had rye like this, but I'd love to try it! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Maria, this is a beautiful salad that I would love to eat;) Salmon is one of my favorite foods. Oh, and I love rye. It's great for diabetics too supposedly. My Mom says that at least (smile)...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my rye bread but I've never seen rye grain like this for use in the kitchen. Sounds very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blog, pictures and recipes!
    :)

    cheers
    David

    SaladPride
    http://SaladPride.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of adding capers and lemon to this - tangy, salty & healthy to boot!

    ReplyDelete