November 14, 2010

Rhubarb-Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt


It's been HOT in Sydney for the past couple of days! I don't cope with heat very well, so anything above 27C is quite unbearable and uncomfortable to me. All the more reason why I can't wait to leave this Sydney heat behind and head to the Northern hemisphere!

This is one of my favourite summer treats along with all the fresh tropical fruit that are in abundance here during the summer months. Simple and delicious!


Rhubarb-Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt

250g rhubarb, cut into pieces (fresh or frozen)
150g strawberries, hulled and halved (fresh or frozen)
1/2 juice of lemon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
small knob fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp manuca honey blend
1 tsp natural vanilla extract

1 cup organic plain yoghurt

Place all ingredients except for the yoghurt in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until rhubarb has softened. Remove from heat and puree using a stab mixer or a food processor. Leave to cool.

Once cool, stir in the yoghurt and mix well. Place in a container and freeze for a few hours, stirring every half an hour to an hour. You can spoon the mixture into small moulds and freeze them again or just shape it into balls. In any case it'll be delicious :-)

Print

13 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I eat way too much rhubarb already and I LOVE frozen yoghurt so this is dangerous. I may turn into a stalk of rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicous treat to cool the insides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking forward to going to the Northern Hemisphere too! Although I'm really sensitive to the cold, I don't really liike the hot either...haha =D This frozen yoghurt looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be reeeaaally good :) looks cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee heee....I can eat this in the Northern Hemisphere now cos I just had froyo yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's kind of funny interacting with people on the other side of the world. Because you say it's getting hot and it surprises me because I am used to the weather getting colder as the weeks pass by! I'll trade you, I prefer the hot! :)

    Your frozen yogurt looks wonderful, I would even eat this in the colder weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very light and refreshing for a hot day! Such a pretty dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool dessert! I wish i could have this on a typical hot Indonesian afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realise it was that easy to make frozen yoghurt.. I thought it was difficult like ice cream and needed a machine etc etc but look at that, just mix and freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a great and simple recipe!!! cant wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect, simple accessible recipe - love it! Definitely using it to use up excess meyer lemons in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, why is it winter here so I can't make this right now?? I love frozen yogurt but I never thought that I can make it at home w/o some sort of ice-cream-maker-type contraption. I'm definitely marking this one to try when it's no longer chilly outside. Thanks Maria!

    ReplyDelete