November 26, 2010

Rhubarb and Apple Loaf with Cinnamon Yoghurt


Well what can I say? Rhubarbs are in season here in Australia so of course I am embracing them as much as I can. I have stacked some in my freezer (cut into small pieces and stored in freezer bags) for when it won't be available, I've made those rhubarb muffins and the rhubarb frozen yoghurt recently and even made rhubarb marmalade to bring for my partner's parents when we meet them this Sunday for pre-Christmas and First Advent lunch.

This is a superbly easy loaf to whip up when you are craving for something special for breakfast or something to have with your afternoon tea. I hope you all have a nice and relaxing weekend!


Rhubarb and Apple Loaf

2 cups organic white, unbleached spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 large free-range eggs
2 small apples, very finely grated
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 cups rhubarb, cut into small pieces

Cinnamon Yoghurt

1 cup organic plain yoghurt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 tsp raw honey

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a regular size loaf tin.

Sieve the flour, baking powder and bicard soda in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, add in the apple, honey and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients and fold to combine. Lastly, fold in the rhubarb. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes. For the yoghurt, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve the loaf with the cinnamon yoghurt.

Indulge!

Print

12 comments:

  1. First thing that caught my eye is a beautiful styling Maria. You always do such a great job of making something so simple as a muffin look like it comes out of a Donna Hay magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get myself familiar with rhubarb, I rarelybuy it but I love the flavor so much. I tend to eat rhubarb desserts when i dine out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics Maria and a lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I yearn for the days when rhubarb is back in season! This sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this, what a great breakfast option!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum that looks delicious! I love rhubarb but have only ever used it once in a rhubarb crumble :) Have a great weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great line up of healthy ingredients here. Would love this with a cup of steamy coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great combo. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very good I have never used rhubarb in anything I think I will try this though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMMMMM,...what a festive & tasty bread & that cinnamon yoghurt with it must taste divine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to try this, but I've only ever seen canned rhubarb in Japan, and I doubt whether it will taste very good. Anyway, I've used small pieces of uncooked rhubarb in muffins, and the tartness of the rhubarb is so good with the sweetness of the cake.
    The cinnamon yogurt is a really nice idea!
    I miss rhubarb! My mother used to make apple-rhubarb sponge and rhubarb trifle...

    ReplyDelete