November 05, 2010

Lemon Myrtle Matcha Macadamia Loaf with Lemon Myrtle Yoghurt


Have I told you how much I love everything lemony? I often have water with a drizzle of lemon in it, I add lemon juice and zest to most of my warm salads, salad dressings and desserts too of course. Did you know that lemons are also highly alkalising and of course full on vitamin C?

I am also crazy about lemon myrtle. Here in Australia you can find a wide variety of lemon myrtle products, including soaps (they smell amazing!) and other beauty products, and I recently bought a bag of organic lemon myrtle which I've been since sprinkling on my daily dose of plain fat free yoghurt. I'm in lemon heaven!

I couldn't think of a better way to combine this gorgeously fragrant herb than with another favourite of mine, you guessed it, matcha. This loaf is not overly sweet (which I prefer), but it is just so tasty with a big dollop of lemon myrtle yoghurt. I am of course using spelt flour which makes the loaf a bit more wholesome and I'm using apple sauce instead of butter. Macadamia nuts are perfect in this loaf, but you could use walnuts or blanched almonds as well.

Wish you all a lovely, relaxing weekend!


Lemon Myrtle Matcha Macadamia Loaf
with
Lemon Myrtle Yoghurt

1 1/2 cups organic white spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp lemon myrtle
1 tbsp Kitchen Grade Matcha
1/2 cup natural muscovado sugar

3 large free-range eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce
1/2 cup low fat milk

*Lemon Myrtle Yoghurt*

1 cup organic fat free natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp lemon myrtle
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
1/2 tsp raw honey

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. In another bowl, whisk the eggs lightly, add apple sauce and milk and stir to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Pour the batter into a prepared loaf tin and bake in 180C for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in a wired rack. Combine all the yoghurt ingredients in a small bowl. Serve the loaf with lemon myrtle yoghurt.

Enjoy!

Print

12 comments:

  1. Maria, you are truly adventurous. I wish I could sample this loaf because I am still somewhat doubtful about the matcha, lemon combo...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting combo! I haven't cooked much with lemon myrtle. I should right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I'm sure this would be nice lightly toasted as well. Great flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a lemon lover myself, especially in baked goods. This loaf looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really cooked with lemon Myrtle before. Great recipe, I love lemon

    ReplyDelete
  6. so wholesome!! apple sauce seems like a great substitution to butter! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so yummy! your pictures are so beautiful. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious. What a lovely loaf. Great that you embrace Australian flavours so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice fusion-y loaf idea. I have been meaning to bring lemon myrtle into my repertoire for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many folks wonder what Matcha Green Tea tastes like. It is an often misunderstood, highly complex, alluring flavor. Chlorophyll together with amino acids supply Matcha with its distinctive rich taste. It has an initial astringent, vegetal taste which then gives way to a lingering sweetness. When Matcha is whisked with water in the traditional style of Japan, it is actually a very full-bodied green tea. The high intensity of your first Matcha experience can be compared to the first time you red wine or dark chocolate. When Matcha is used as in ingredient in baking, cooking, or beverages, the taste will become more subtle. It can add the unique flavor, (and generally the color), of green tea to a variety of creations such as ice cream, cupcakes, smoothies, a latte, or various different sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria,

    If you like things lemony and you like lemon myrtle, may I suggest some Lemon myrtle sprinkle? It is a blend of lemon myrtle leaf and essential oil, rainforest lime, lemon aspen and anise myrtle. If you wish to email me your address I'll send you a sample.

    You see our brains think of acidity when we taste lemon so pure lemon myrtle leaves us a little cheated on taste. It really is a smell more that a taste and we detect is in our olfactory centre rather than on our tongue's tastebuds. By combining rainforest lime, which is a wild fruit with an intense lime-ness, and the delicious lemon aspen, with its citrus acidity and gumleaf finish, my blend is stunningly impactful.

    My email is vic at cherikoff dot net.

    ReplyDelete