October 16, 2010

Spiced Chickpeas with Spinach


Spiced foods is not something I grew up with in Finland. Traditional Finnish recipes usually only call for salt and black pepper, with some exceptions like ground ginger, ground cloves and cardamom which are often used in baking. We don't even share the same passion for saffron like our beloved Western neighbours do. This has of course changed over time and nowadays Finns experiment with spices such as much as others. I still can't handle chilli, however, but I love using other spices in my cooking and my pantry is packed with different kind of spices at all times.

This simple chickpea dish is not only nutritious, but very tasty! I love spicing up chickpeas with cumin, coriander, turmeric and other spices and they just seem so natural together. Spinach is an additional ingredient, something I cook quite a lot, often making it Japanese way and just serving it with toasted sesame seeds or goma (paste made with toasted sesame, mirin and soy sauce). This is a simple side dish with lots of flavour! :-)


Spiced Chickpeas with Spinach

200g raw chickpeas, soaked over night
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon

small handful of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 tbs pomegranate molasses
2 tsp lemon juice
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

1 big bunch of English spinach, washed

Preheat the oven to 170C.

Start by draining the chickpeas, rinse and drain again. Cover the chickpeas with water and bring to boil. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until tender (do not over cook!). Drain and place in a large bowl to cool down slightly. Add the olive oil and the spices and stir well to combine. Place the chickpeas on a roasting tin lined with baking paper, spread out evenly and toast for 30 minutes or until crunchy, stirring every now and then.

Blanche the spinach in boiling water for a couple of minutes, then refresh under cold running water and drain well. Squeeze out the extra water and chop roughly. Set aside.

Combine the slightly cooled down chickpeas, the spinach, parsley, pomegranate molasses and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

Print

14 comments:

  1. i love the variety of spices you've added with the chick peas. sounds nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. The turmeric makes the chickpeas look like golden gems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to re-create the spiced chickpeas I had at Mint, so it's great timing you've posted this recipe!

    I wouldn't have thought of baking the chickpeas. I'm going to combine some elements of this recipe with another one I've found. I'll let you know how I get on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't grow up using spices either but now that I can cook for myself, I love incorporating them whenever I can! You did a great job adding flavor to these ingredients! They sound super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous side dish, but I think I could happily polish off a big plate of it for my main. Well, let's be honest, I'd probably be happy to polish off a big plate of it just for my side too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This certainly looks packed with flavour. How fantastic what you can do with the humble chick pea. You've just elevated it's status in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting combination. I love spinach! And it pretty much goes with anything! This seems like it has some nice fall flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something nice to pick at with a drink, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chickepeas and spices are a match made in heaven. The addition of the spinach is lovely and gives another addition of iron to the dish. Lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love chickpea with spinach stew! I ate it once in an Indian Restaurant, and I have been hooked. I do not like too spicy hot, but more spicy than salt and pepper. I make with onions, ginger and tomatoes paste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, this recipe is right up my alley! I love chickpeas anyway they come but especially with plenty of spices and spinach too, great flavours here, sounds so very good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe sounds almost Indian.

    Good work with your blog!!

    PS: Can you tell me how you got the top menu bar on your blogspot template? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in the states and have never heard of "Pomegranate Molasses". What would be something that I might find in the states that would be similar? This dish sounds and looks like a true winner. I plan to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      It should be available at Lebanese or Middle Eastern shops. I've seen it featured in American based recipes as well. Otherwise you could just use pomegranate juice.

      Hope this helps!

      Maria

      Delete