October 29, 2010

Salmon with Buckwheat, Wakame and Miso-Yuzu Dressing

I strongly believe that comfort food has healing properties. When you're feeling like you need a bit of TLC you can make a bowl of something steaming and delicious, cuddle up on a sofa and indulge with whatever you are having and soon you will realise that everything will be a-o-k. Often comfort food is something we associate with memories from childhood, something we grew up with, something that is familiar, soothing and caring and makes you feel all fluffy and warm inside. Enough said? You get the idea ;-)

This is modern style comfort food I made for my partner (therefore the Japanese flavours) for de-stressing purposes. I love using buckwheat instead of rice sometimes, and I LOVE seaweed of all kinds. I cooked the buckwheat with a piece of konbu for extra flavour, but I have also read that konbu makes it easier to digest other foods you're eating. I often cook brown rice with a piece of konbu for the same reason. The miso-yuzu dressing was really perfect for this meal, but I see no reason why I couldn't use it for salads as well.

Wish you all a safe and enjoyable weekend to come!


Salmon with Buckwheat, Wakame and Miso-Yuzu Dressing

1,5 cups raw buckwheat
piece of konbu
400g salmon fillet, boned
pinch of sea salt
4 tbs dried wakame, soaked in hot water

Miso-yuzu Dressing

60ml water
1 tbs shiro miso
1 tbs less salty soy sauce
1 tbs yuzu juice
piece of fresh ginger, grated
sprinkling of shichimi togarashi

Place the buckwheat and the konbu in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain and leave to cool slightly.

Place the salmon in a saucepan, cover with water, season with a pinch of salt and bring to boil. Simmer until cooked through but still slightly pink in the middle. Drain and set aside to cool. Fork into bite size pieces.

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Place the cooked buckwheat in a large mixing bowl. Take out the konbu and slice it finely. Mix the konbu with the buckwheat. Drain the wakame and fold into the buckwheat. Pour the miso dressing in and toss well to combine. Lastly, fold in the salmon pieces. Season with some extra shichimi togarashi.

Enjoy!

Print

11 comments:

  1. That both looks and sounds delicious! I love salmon! This has been bookmarked!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buckwheat is one of my favorite grains, I love the idea of giving it an Asian twist, great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, this dish has an important element I love - Yuzu. I think I do have Yuzu miso in my fridge... will bookmark to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more - comfort foods are lovely ways to get just that - comfort! And de-stressing. I love the buckwheat in this - something I have really been wanting to try in more than just flour form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, This looks fab! I love salmon and am always looking for new salads to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually define comfort food as something that suits my cravings at exactly that moment. I'm always craving salmon so this definitely looks like comfort food to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never actually tried buckwheat before but Panu eats brown rice all the time (healthier than white rice blah blah).. p'raps I should give buckwheat a go! With all these recipes you should really think about writing a cookbook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious! A wonderful and original salad.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. That defintely looks like a bowl of comfort! Your poached salmon on top looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colour of that salmon is gorgeous. I've never added konbu to anything when cooking before (in fact I've never used konbu at all before) but I also love seaweed so I really should go get some. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very true, comfort food can be healthy too. And one thing is that it is really comforting when someone else cooks it for you! :)

    ReplyDelete