October 05, 2010

Honey Roast Chicken with Quinoa Stuffing (Or Salad)


To be honest this roast chicken is not about the chicken. In fact, I think the filling makes a wonderful salad, which is why I ended up tagging this dish both under "poultry" and "vegetarian", and I will most definitely be making the filling on its on for many times more. I got the idea for this recipe from the latest Fresh magazine, but instead of using couscous (which I don't find particularly mind blowing), I used black quinoa which I've been experimenting a fair bit lately.


Honey Roast Chicken with Quinoa Stuffing
(Or Vegetarian)
Quinoa Salad with Dates, Apricots and Pomegranate Molasses
(Recipe adapted from Fresh Magazine)

1,3 kg whole free-range chicken, skin removed and rinsed

3/4 cup black quinoa, rinsed
1/3 cup dates, chopped
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/3 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
1 tbs olive oil
zest of one lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
2tbs flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tbs fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbs pomegranate molasses
pinch of ground cinnamon
tiny pinch of sea salt

1 tbs honey, for brushing

Preheat the oven to 190C.

To cook the quinoa, bring 1,5 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rinsed quinoa and let simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. (Add water if needed while simmering).
Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in a bowl.

Pat dry the chicken with paper towel. Fill the cavity of the chicken with the stuffing and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Brush the chicken with honey on both sides and place in an oven bag. Place the chicken on a roasting tin and cook for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to rest for 20 minutes, then carve and serve with the stuffing.

Enjoy!



Print

9 comments:

  1. Yum! What a great combination. The dates must make it sweet and the pomegranate must balance it out. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at 'quinoa'. Quinoa rules again, what a little champion of a superfood! But dammit - I really need to find me some pomegranate molasses! (where can I buy it in Sydney, Maria?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely looking meal. I love quinoa. It is so good and so good FOR you, I can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quinoa stuffing! The dried fruits and pomegranate molasses must add so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments!

    Ladybird: You can find pomegranate molasses in any specialty shops. I got mine at Fourth Village in Mosman, but in you're not in the area, you could try Essential Ingredient in Rozelle. :-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinoa is delicious. I didn't eat meat for a week and quinoa was what kept me going. Love your photos..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combination of ingrediants! Lovely photography too. Cant wait to try it and see for myself. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm yet to get into quinoa, I have to admit. The combination of flavours you've used here sound wonderful. Very exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree on cous cous not being mind blowing, how funny! Black quinoa sounds great I haven't seen that yet. It's looks like a nice change from white or red.

    ReplyDelete