October 20, 2010

Matcha Spelt Crepes with "Edamole"


Those who know me and have read my blog for a while know how much I love Japanese green tea, and especially matcha. I happily enjoy my daily cup of matcha with the darkest chocolate I can find, knowing I'm devouring a huge amount of antioxidants as I do so. Matcha is not only great for drinking (of course), but can also be used in baking and cooking! With the Halloween coming, you could use matcha powder to colour your cookies and cakes, and give them a healthy dose of antioxidants at the same time.

In preparation for our upcoming Japan trip, I made these vibrant coloured matcha crepes with a sauce I call "edamole" (like quacamole but made with edamame!). For the crepes, I used premium kitchen grade matcha, kindly provided to me by the Kyoto Obubu Tea Plantations. I have made matcha crepes before using ordinary matcha, but the colour was nowhere near as the deep green as in these ones! That is exactly the beauty of this particular matcha; it retains the rich green colour even after baking.

I'm hoping we can visit the Obubu Tea Plantations during our trip to Japan, but for now these tasty savoury crepes will have to do :-)


Matcha Spelt Crepes with Edamole

*Matcha Spelt Crepes*

1 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 tbs premium kitchen grade matcha
1 cup organic white spelt flour
2 large free-range eggs
pinch of salt

2 tbs olive oil, for frying

*Edamole*

1 bag frozen edamame
200ml extra light ricotta
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp dried mint
freshly ground black pepper
20ml water
1/4 lemon, juiced
1 tbs extra virgin lemon olive oil

For the crepes, pour the milk into a large bowl. Add the matcha and whisk well to combine. Add the eggs and whisk. Add the flour and the salt and whisk until well combined and smooth. Set aside.

Blanch the edamame in boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and let cool slightly. Place the cooled down beans in a bowl of a food processor and process until mashed. Add all other ingredients and process until smooth. Adjust the water if the mixture is too thick. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Heat a medium sized frying pan on high and brush with olive oil. Pour a ladle of crepe mixture on to the pan and swirl the pan for the mixture to spread evenly. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side. Continue with the rest of the mixture.

Serve the crepes with the dip and some vegetable sticks.

どうぞ召し上がれ


Print

13 comments:

  1. hehe i love the sound of edamole and im so jealous of your upcoming trip to japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha u always make the type of food ive not seen elsewhere but know that i would love to try!
    the green on the last pic of edamole is beaautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen matcha used in sweets a number of times but never in savory food! These sound so intriguing. And I love their pretty green hue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the matcha crepes but am really curious about the edamole....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edamole is brilliant! I've been getting into matcha lately in cold drinks, but after recently rediscovering a taste for crepes I can imagine just how good these ones would be. Got to love that colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! Why'd ya have it with a savoury? I'd be covering those crepes with vanilla ice cream!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edamole sounds great!! I also agree with catty, I'd be covering mine in ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your comments!

    You could easily make this a sweet recipe by replacing the salt with some sugar or agave nectar and having it with ice cream and fresh fruit :-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am up for those matca crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a second there I thought I was seeing pandan crepes! Love the sound of the edamole

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are brilliant! The matcha crepes are so pretty and I'm so excited to try your edamole!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Edamole is an interesting idea! I'll have to try that. The crepes look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edamole! hehehe very ingenius! I like!

    ReplyDelete