October 09, 2010

Green Soybean Soup

Is there anyone who wouldn't love green edamame (green soybeans)? I just love snacking on these delicious green beauties, and they are so addictive! I buy them frozen, and quickly boil them, then have them unsalted, on their own. They make really delicious salads or soups as well! This recipe is quite interesting because it uses rice to thicken the soup, and miso to give it extra flavour. I've made this quite thick, but you can of course thin it just by using more water. I was considering making this much thicker, more like a puree and serving it with salmon, you could certainly try this as well.

I think this makes such a lovely weekend lunch!


Green Soybean Soup
(Recipe adapted from Washoku by Elizabeth Andoh)

350g frozen unsalted edamame, in the pod
2 tbs cooked white rice
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 tbs shiro miso with dashi
fresh mint, to serve

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the frozen soybeans, and cook for 2 minutes after the water returns to boil. Drain and let cool.

Combine the rice and the water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice loses its shape. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Shell the beans and place in a food processor or a blender. Add the cooled down rice and miso and process until smooth. Add water if you want it thinner. Serve with fresh mint leaves.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting... I wonder how it tastes...I guess the only way to know is to try making it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! We both love soybeans here :) And I love the postcard styling, it's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love green soya beans. I have at least four bags of them in my freezer at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they would make a great puree, maybe with some grilled scallops on top? Or with some lamb chops?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! I love munching on edamame but I honestly never thought of this before ... thanks for the idea, Maria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are sooo healthy too! ive used these beans to make desserts too before..agree that they're totally addictive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm!! I will try this week!!!

    ReplyDelete