October 06, 2010

Broad Bean Burgers


I couldn't resist making something with broad beans since they are so affordable and in season right now. A quick flip through Ottolenghi's 'Plenty' book, and ta-dah! I've got myself a recipe. With a few modifications, of course. After making the butternut pumpkin with burnt aubergine from Ottolenghi's previous book, I didn't need to be convinced any further that all of his recipes were sensational. I changed the recipe quite a bit, but these still turned out to be delicious with lots of flavour. And those vibrant green colours are just perfect for spring :-)


Broad Bean Burgers
(Recipe adapted from 'Plenty' by Ottolenghi)

100g English spinach, washed
1 tbs olive oil + extra for frying
250g shelled fresh broad beans
150g Kipfler potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbs flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
30g rice crumbs
1 free-range egg
black pepper
sea salt
lemon and baby spinach, to serve

Blanch the spinach in boiling water for a minute or so, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Squeeze out the excess water and chop finely.

Blanch the broad beans in boiling water for one or two minutes, drain and refresh under cold running water. Remove and discard the skins.

Place the potatoes in a saucepan, fill with cold water and bring to boil. Cook until tender, then drain well and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the broad beans, turmeric, coriander, cumin and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mash with a fork. Add the spinach, parsley, rice crumbs and the egg, season with black pepper and a tiny pinch of salt. Mix everything together.

Shape the mixture into small patties, place on a large plate and transfer into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.

Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers on both sides until golden brown. Serve with baby spinach and lemon wedges.

Print

16 comments:

  1. These look great. Broad beans are in season and as spring advances it's almost BBQ weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy!! I love green vegetables, and these look great, I will write this recipe down

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green is popping as much as I imagine the flavour does. Great way to showcase the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bean burgers are one of my favorite things to eat and these seem seriously packed with flavor! Delicious. Can't go wrong with ottolenghi, I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastiset kuvat! Ottolenghin kirja on minullakin;hänellä on ihania reseptejä:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely use for broad beans! The burgers look so elegant, I would love to serve them as an appetizer, maybe garnished with a little dollop of Greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ottolenghi is one of my favourite restaurants, and this was an awesome book. You've put together the recipe so beautifully. I'd love these.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hei, kivoja juttuja täällä! Tulen toistekin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just received Plenty and haven't flipped through the entire book yet but can't wiat to get to this section now. Looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another delicious looking recipe Maria! I think I'd be giving this one a go using soya beans, something I've been eating a lot of lately

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep hearing how good this cookbook is! I do love vege burgers too-I think I almost prefer them to meat burgers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Plenty really is a great book, isn't it! I'd love to try this recipe, it looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Broad bean burgers?! Yum, Maria! These look so delicious and healthful too. I'm bookmarking this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love broad bean burgers and have not made them, in like, forever! This recipes look so good with the lovely spices added, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the flecks of green in these burgers - have broad beans and spinach in my fridge that I need to use, so this is pretty perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We just made these burgers with an indigenous Mam women's cooking group on a wood stove in Guatemala. They grow and export broad beans to England and they grew too much this year so we found this recipe to try and it turned out great! Chjontete! (Thanks)

    ReplyDelete