October 17, 2010

Black Bean Brownies


Hello friends! Happy Sunday :-)

Black bean brownies may sound a little unconventional, but that doesn't mean they aren't as tasty! I've made brownies with beetroot before, and they were probably the best brownies (if I may say so myself) I've ever had, so I didn't need much convincing to give a go at using black beans as the 'secret' ingredient.

I recently got a reminder of this wonderful recipe from David and Luise in the Green Kitchen Stories, but I do remember seeing these recipes pop up in blogs already a couple of years ago.
What a great little twist to the old favourite!

I'm using raw honey to replace some of the sugar and apple sauce to replace some of the butter. You could use all honey and no sugar and replace more of the butter with the apple sauce. I'm also using pretty dark chocolate (70%), but if you might want to opt for chocolate with 50-60% cacao for a bit more sweetness.


Black Bean Brownies
(Recipe adapted from the Wholefoods Markets)

1 x 400g can organic, unsalted black beans, drained & rinsed
3 large free-range eggs
1/4 cup unsalted, melted butter
2 tbs organic, unsweetened apple sauce
50ml raw honey
2 tbs natural muscovado sugar
2 tsp natural vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
50g chocolate (70% cacao), chopped

Preheat oven to 180C.

Grease a brownie tin (26cm x 16cm). Place the beans in a bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Place the eggs, butter, apple sauce, raw honey, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add the beans and the cocoa and mix to combine. Add the walnuts and the chocolate and fold them in.

Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in hot oven for about 30 minutes or until the centre has such set. Let cool, then cut into portions.

Print

12 comments:

  1. I love all the different things you can substitue into brownies! And they look so delicious too! Was this better or the betroot brownies??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way of secretly adding more fibre and protein to your diet! I feel more healthy by just reading your series of yummy sounding vegetarion recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds intriguing! And delicious :) Must check out those beetroot brownies too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria, your version of bean brownies look great! Thanks for mentioning us.
    I am so impressed by how often you post new recipes and still keep up the quality. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These brownies look amazing! I really would never have thought to add black beans to brownies but they look so tasty. Thank you for providing the recipe.

    By the way I was reading through your blog. you have great posts. Keep it up.
    I love your blog template also. It is sleek and inviting. Check out my blog if you want.

    http://www.cherryvomit.com

    Comments and FOLLOWING my blog would be greatly appreciated. =D

    I have followed your AMAZING blog as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great 'secret' ingredient to make this a more wholesome treat! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the healthy secret to these brownies! Might have to give them a whirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to make black bean brownies for ages! Yours look amazing, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is very interesting take on brownies, but I love any healthier versions of my favorite foods, thanks for sharing this recipe... I will be making some modifications next time I'm making brownies...
    will still indulge, but in a little healthier way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever Maria! I love black beans and have made spinach brownies so I would definitely be curious to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A naughty treat with hidden healthy insides! ... I like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been meaning to make black bean brownies too. Glad to hear they turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete