October 22, 2010

Black Bean and Walnut Burgers with Avocado and Mango Salsa


Recently my friend and I met up for some health food shopping and lunch. How much fun is health food shopping?? There are just so many new ingredients to try, so many "super foods" and wonderfully exotic ingredients one can get and start experimenting with. I had a long list of things to get, some I was familiar with, some I hadn't tried before. I ended up with some organic coconut water (which I think would be awesome in juices or smoothies!), some black beans (canned which I used to make the brownies and raw which I used for these patties), herbal teas organic raw chocolate with 100% cacao (!!), and some spelt liquorice as a special treat for myself. This is my kind of shopping!

I think I might also be developing a slight addiction to veggie patties. Remember the falafels? And the broad bean burgers? And those toasted almond and tofu patties which I'm still dreaming of? Yep. I think I'm definitely on my way to being totally hooked on these things. But at least it's a healthy addiction, right?

These black bean and walnut burgers are just so tasty with the avocado and mango salsa (I'm also hooked on mangoes, but who wouldn't be since they are in season right now??), and I love the flavour combination! Great way to start the weekend! I wish you all a good one!


Black Bean and Walnut Burgers
(Recipe adapted from the Vegetarian Times)

1 cup raw black beans, soaked over night
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
ground black pepper
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 small shallots, chopped
1 corn cob, cooked and kernels removed
pinch of sea salt
1/2 lemon, juiced

Cook the beans in boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly. Place the beans with all other ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Shape the mixture into small patties and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then bake in 170C for about 20 minutes.

Avocado and Mango Salsa

1 avocado, diced
1 mango, diced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
1/4 lemon, juiced
tiny pinch sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Print

7 comments:

  1. Luved going Healthy food shopping with you. How cool were our cool free thongs we got too!!!! and Sabbaba for lunch. Great day! Have a top weekend and can't wait to catch up again soon and meet your man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding new healthy ingredients to experiment with! These black bean and walnut burgers sound delicious, especially with that salsa topping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious meal, the salsa is perfect with those flavorful burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some vegetarian friends who would probably LOVE these burgers! I will have to share this recipe with them! I love anything involving avocado! Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm.. these look so tasty and I love how they are baked, not fried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos and the burgers look fantastic. I'd love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos to my new vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing beautiful and flavorful vegetarian food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a love for health food shopping, too. I agree - so much stuff to try!
    these burgers look wonderful - definitely saving this.

    ReplyDelete