September 01, 2010

Whipped Berry Rye Porridge


Today I got a sudden craving for Finnish whipped lingonberry porridge. This has been my favourite for as long as I can remember and it certainly is one of the first things I make (or ask my mum to make) whenever I visit Finland. Unfortunately I don't have access to lingonberries here in Australia, and the lingonberry cordial sold here does not come even close to the flavour that real berries give to this dish. So I've substituted lingonberries with a selection of frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries) and instead of using the more popular semolina, I've made this with rye flour. You can use either, semolina gives a much sweeter porridge, but I can certainly recommend using rye flour as well, especially if you want to make this dish even healthier.

The result is a very thick porridge, so if you prefer it runnier you can add the amount of water to 1 litre. Whipping makes the porridge lighter and gives it the most amazing, almost foamy texture. This whipped berry rye porridge makes a perfect breakfast, but I could enjoy it wholeheartedly at any time of the day, even as a dessert, especially if using semolina. I love this warm or cold, and often I have it with a splash of cold milk.


Whipped Berry Rye Porridge
(Serves 2)

700ml water
1 tbs raw honey
about 220g frozen berries of your choice
100g rye flour

In a medium saucepan bring water, honey and berries to boil. Add the rye flour whisking vigorously. Turn the heat to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes stirring often. Once done, place the saucepan in a sink filled with some cold water (water should reach about half way through the outer edges of the saucepan), and leave to cool for a few minutes. Using electric beaters, whip the porridge for 3-4 minutes or until clearly lighter in colour. Serve warm or cold with milk.


Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. Looks so healthy and has such a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! Would you substitute cranberries for lingonberries? I only have a limited memory of tasting lingonberries when I visited Finland a couple of years ago. But in a pinch, I've used cranberries before. Used them recently for a sauce to accompany some Finnish meatballs. The sauce was deliciously tart, even if not perhaps 100% authentic!????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ive never really had anything like this before but it sounds like such a nice breakfast dish to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. giuseppe @miotwitt1 September 2010 at 17:02

    Looks amazing...interesting idea for a not so -porridge- fascinating food...Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh that looks so yummy! and i also noticed u also have alot of pretty bowls and plates *jealous*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh this would make me want to eat breakfast more regularly and properly! And I've noticed a pretty chance in your banner again =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks interesting! please do share more finnish recipes, I'm keen to see what foods are eaten in Finland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like comfort food to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually don't like porridge, but if you serve this I wouldn't say No. Looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comments everyone! I really appreciate it! x

    Julia: You certainly could use cranberries, I've never tried but I can imagine it would go really well!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your site because I always learn something new! This beautiful recipe is new to me and I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe another one to forward to Mr NQN and his family! I was wondering if the lingonberry cordial tasted like the real thing. Do you find that with cloudberries too and the cloudberry jam?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria, I have to tell you I love love love your blog. I have always wanted to learn more about new cuisines and your posts have introduce me a lot about Scandinavian dishes and culture that I know little about. This porridge is absolutely a must try for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much!

    Lorraine: Unfortunately the cloudberry jam sold here has so much sugar that you can hardly taste the berries! I still keep a jar in the fridge for days when I'm homesick ;-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I know what to do with my rye flour. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Maria my Mummo used to make marjapuuro all the time except she used strawberry topping from the shops and it still tasted really good and when it was put in the fridge it went like jelly but still tasted fantastic, but she died recently and she was the onlyone that knew the recipe and she only spoke Finnish and she liked to use big long names that I could only understand a fraction of so do you think I could use that instead of the frozen berries?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello!

    I've never tried tried that but you should give it a go! Might be better to use semolina in that case (if that's what you think your granny used to use) as you might get closer to the flavour and consistency you're after.

    Hope this helps, let me know how you go!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was really nice. I added the juice of a lemon, as the berries over here tend to lack flavor. And instead of sugar I used agave.
    Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete